burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Fashion

30 for 30 Challenge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

My professor challenged my classmates to do the 30 for 30 challenge for sustainability. With this challenge, you wear 30 articles of clothing for 30 days. The entire purpose of this challenge is to make you appreciate and shop your closet to make new looks. We started on Tuesday and the process has been insane already.

Along with the purpose of this challenge, comes the background research and reasoning for why we’re doing this in the first place. We as consumers have been encouraged to constantly buy items for such low prices, and buy them in bulk. This brings major problems in the fashion industry and encourages fast fashion, where if our clothes are in such high demand and needed in huge quantities, then those who make the clothing are made to work in terrible conditions and create the clothes with huge shortcuts. Our clothing isn’t made to last anymore and are produced in a non-ethical way.

Another issue lies in how we constantly buy things, but always say that we don’t have anything to wear. So this is where the challenge comes, it makes us rework and think about our clothing differently. I love the challenge and it’s making me understand and truly be creative with so many different clothing items. I’m finding a new ways to organize my basics and make them more elevated. I would 100% encourage this for anyone who does a lot of online shopping, as it could help you realize if you actually need an item or if you just want to spend some money.

Diamond Porter

Jefferson '25

I’m Diamond, a fashion design major at Thomas Jefferson University set to graduate in 2025. I sew, paint, draw, and design and I’m interested in owning my own business and clothing line or becoming a professional stylist!