david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Movies to Watch on Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Whether you decide to stay in on Halloween, or just want to binge watch some movies to get you in the spirit, here are the 10 best movies to watch on Halloween.

10. Addams Family Values (1993) – While the first movie is great, I prefer the sequel. It’s about an odd family of terrifyingly eccentric people who welcome the birth of a new baby boy, while also terrorizing a summer camp. If you want to catch it on TV, it’s playing on ABC Family (Freeform) at 7:00pm on Halloween.

9. Beetlejuice (1988) – While it’s not exactly a Halloween movie, Beetlejuice’s creepy characters and eerie atmosphere will definitely make it a good choice to watch on Halloween. In Beetlejuice, a recently deceased couple, who is unable to leave their house, enlist the help of an odd young girl and a dangerous spirit named Beetlejuice. You can watch it on the XFINITY On Demand app!

8. Casper (1995) – This is an extremely cute Halloween movie that’s perfect for date night or a girl’s night. This movie is about Casper, the friendly ghost, and his three uncles who haunt a mansion where a daughter (who Casper becomes infatuated with) and her father move in. You can watch it on the XFINITY On Demand app.

7. Coraline (2009) – I’ve loved this movie since I was a kid. It’s fantastical and creepy and interesting. The animation is also stunning. While exploring her new home, a girl named Coraline discovers a secret door, behind which lies an alternate world that closely mirrors her own but, in many ways, is much scarier. You can also watch it on the XFINITY On Demand app.

6. Edward Scissorhands (1990) – This movie is as funny as it is scary. Johnny Depp plays a fascinating character who is just trying to fit in. You can watch this movie on Amazon prime, and if you watch it during the 7-day free trial, you won’t have to pay anything at all.

5. Twitches (2005) – You’ll love this charming movie about twin witches (or twitches). Watch two twins, who were separated at birth, come together to use their magic to save their alternate universe. You can watch it on Hulu.

4. Corpse Bride (2005) – You can watch this eerie Tim Burton classic on ABC Family (Freeform) at midnight on October 19th, midnight on October 22nd, 2:40pm on October 28th, 12:35pm on October 29th, and 7:00am on October 30th. You can also catch it on Netflix. This movie tells the story of a bride from the world of the dead who comes aboveground to win the love of an engaged man, and is all about love, loss, and the character’s journey of self-discovery.

3. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) – One of my all-time favorite movies is the Nightmare Before Christmas. The songs are iconic and fun to sing along to. It’s the perfect movie to get you in the Halloween spirit. You can watch it on ABC Family (Freeform) at 5:30pm on October 19th, 3:00pm on October 20th, 6:45pm on October 28, and 11:00am on October 29th.

2. Halloweentown (1998) – Halloweentown is an adorable movie about a family of witches trying to save their world. This movie will get you excited to decorate for Halloween. You can watch it at midnight on October 25th on ABC Family (Freeform).

1. Hocus Pocus (1993) – Hands down, my favorite Halloween movie is Hocus Pocus. It’s scary, funny, heartwarming, and suspenseful all at once. Follow Max, his sister Dani, and their friend Allison, as they try to stop three witches known as the Sanderson Sisters. Hocus Pocus plays throughout the 13 Nights of Halloween on ABC Family (Freeform), but you can also watch it on that station at both 9:00pm and midnight on Halloween.

Stockton University 2020