This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

When Disney’s “Shake it Up!” first premiered in 2010, it enamored countless audiences of children and adolescents. Co-stars Bella Thorne and Zendaya embodied their roles as CeCe Jones and Rocky Blue, two childhood friends and aspiring dancers who valued friendship over anything else. Despite their differences, Thorne and Zendaya were able to convince young viewers that they were BFFs IRL. However, their two opposing paths in life post “Shake it Up!” confirmed that they weren’t as close as Disney presented.

Today, Thorne has a less-than-desirable public image, as she’s often considered “trashy” and hasn’t appeared in any major films or notable television series since her Disney debut. After she left Disney Channel in 2013, I’d say Thorne is most known for her role as Madison in “The DUFF.” (I’m most definitely NOT a Bella Thorne fan, but that movie is a must-watch!)

So, what does that mean for Zendaya?

Honestly, nothing.

Unlike Miley Cyrus, who ditched Disney abruptly and became a media scandal before our eyes, Z has stayed true to herself while defending a cause. She didn’t need to make a scene at the VMAs or publicly diss Disney, and veered from the dangerous world of drugs. Rather, Zendaya uses her platform to create positive change, and in a healthy way.

Regardless of her positive transformation from child star to Hollywood actress, Zendaya doesn’t look down upon her Disney peers, and refrains from speaking ill of them. In fact, when she was pressed about Cyrus’ VMA debacle, Z responded with: “I would never say anything negative about what they do or the choices they make because, in the end, those are their choices and their lives and I respect them. I’ve chosen my own different path, and I will continue to do what I do.”

JCU Campus Correspondent