This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Thanks to high school requirements, the term “Summer reading list” inspires dread in a lot of people, but it doesn’t have to! Maybe you’re looking for a good beach read, or something to hold your interest while commuting to your summer job or internship. Fear not, there are tons of awesome books you can pick up this summer that aren’t boring or taxing. These young adult novels are quick and fun, unlike the hefty assigned reading you’re used to for class.

1. The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig – This Young Adult fantasy takes place (mostly) in Hawaii, the perfect tropical setting for summer. Time travel, romance, and lovely writing combine to make a compelling read. I am dying to get my hands on the sequel, The Ship Beyond Time. Hopefully I’ll be able to sail away with it this summer!

1. Dumplin’ by Julie Murphy – Looking for a contemporary story about self-identity? Give this one a look. Willowdean knows that fat girls don’t win beauty pageants, but she’s determined to try anyway. With complex and realistic characters and some Texas attitude, Dumplin’ could be the perfect summer read for you.

1. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz – I originally had my doubts about this book because I don’t really love coming of age stories, but oh boy did this one suck me in! Excellent characters and writing, and a really, really important story. The perfect summer story for anyone looking to read something humorous but meaningful. (IT’S SO GOOD)

1. Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan – Okay, in all fairness, I love recommending Rick Riordan to people, but I have good reason! His writing tends to be more middle-grade or early high school level, but he’s such a great storyteller. In Manus Chase, he provides a new take on Norse mythology, written with his characteristic humour, engaging characters, and inventive plots.

1. Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnelly – Another one that’s more middle-grade level, but probably my favorite mermaid novel/series I’ve ever read. The world-building here is especially excellent, something I’ve found many mermaid stories to lack. Full of action and packed with intertwining plots, this is the perfect read for beside the pool.

1. Holes by Louis Sachar – Anybody read Sideways Stories from Westside School when they were younger? Same author, different subject. In Camp Green Lake, a boys’ detention center, boys spend all day digging in the hot sun. What are they digging for? Weaving past and present stories together while looking at some important issues in our justice system, Sachar presents a well-written, compelling story.

1. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd – This novel is set in the South during summer 1964, and is a sort of Huck Finn story about a young white girl who escapes her abusive father with the help of her maid, an older black woman. These two set off on an incredible journey that will probably make you cry, but I promise, it is so worth it in the end.

1. The Madman’s Daughter by Megan Shepherd – This one is a creepy sci-fi/historical fiction, Young Adult novel featuring a smart heroine with a shadowed past. The tropical island setting makes this one perfect for summer–but maybe make sure you’re not on an isolated island vacation when you read it…

If you’re looking for some awesome and quick summer reads, check these out!

Mallory Fitzpatrick is a senior at John Carroll University, who loves reading, writing, and travel.