This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Being a college student sometimes feels like a circus act, trying to balance a million different activities and events every day, so it seems like exercise falls to the back burner sometimes. However, being active for even a part of the day makes a huge difference. You’ll feel better physically, and mentally since exercise is a big stress reliever. So even though it’s hard to fall into a regular exercise routine, here are some tips on staying active in college.

Courtesy: SayingImage.com

1. Take the stairs or a long route to class. 

I know, I know, it’s easy to be lazy and take the elevator up to the third floor instead of walking the stairs, and it’s easy to just bolt class when going outside in the cold. But, things as simple as taking the stairs over the elevator or taking a longer route to class (when you have the time) counts as something. You’re being active and keeping those muscles awake during a long day. Every little bit helps.

2. Set aside a specific time that can be the designated gym time. 

This may not work for everyone, as some people have irregular schedules, but try to find a free hour at least 2-3 days a week and have that be your time to go to the gym. Whether it’s between classes, after dinner, after that club meeting, an hour is plenty of time to go do some cardio and lift a few weights. For me, it works best when I go immediately after my first class in the morning when I have a big break between classes. I leave class and immediately change clothes/shoes and go straight to the gym. This works most for me because I don’t give myself time to sit there and think about how comfy my bed looks. But, I know some people dedicate an hour before bedtime to go work out and unwind from the day. Whenever it is, find something that works for you.

3. And if that doesn’t work, make at-home exercises your friend.

If finding an entire hour just can’t happen with your schedule, it’s always an option to do some body-weight exercises when you return home for the night. Do a few crunches or jumping jacks and if you want to add some extra weight you can use whatever expensive textbooks you have. You can look up loads of different exercises that you can do at home and all of them can work.

4. Find something to keep you motivated.

It can be a workout buddy, or some cute gym clothes. For me personally, I use the Activity app on my Apple Watch to stay motivated about closing the activity rings each day. Some people reward themselves by doing something fun after the gym and that’s what keeps them motivated. Before you know it, you’ll love going to the gym and you won’t feel like you’re forcing yourself.

5. Start small.

When you first get into this routine, don’t go to the gym 7 days a week. You’ll burn out quickly. Start by going once or twice a week, and add more trips as you find time. Fitness is about progress, not perfection.

I’ll admit, I’m not perfect about this. I have my days where I just want to curl into bed and do nothing, and that’s okay. You’re allowed to take days to rest physically and mentally. Just don’t let yourself fall into a pattern of not exercising for months on end. Finding the time to get healthy is hard in college, but there are so many ways to incorporate exercise into your routine, that you shouldn’t feel bad if you don’t live in the gym.

Just your average nerd who likes books, math, and lots of chocolate.