Career

Why I Won’t Let Pessimism Affect My Career Choice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

As a senior in college, just a few short months away from walking across that stage in May, the last thing I need (or want) to hear is that my chosen career path is something I should reconsider.

Ever since I was in eighth grade, when my love for reading short stories and novels bloomed, I knew I wanted to become a teacher. My heart has been set on teaching Language Arts to high school students before I was even one of them. This idea has shaped my experience since then. Throughout my high school years, I would sit in class noticing different teaching techniques and compare them to one another. Like many students, I had some awful teachers and some great ones. As I started at JCU, the education classes I’ve taken have been my favorite. Long story short, I haven’t considered any other path to start my adult life and I was lucky to find my passion at such a young age. 

classrooom and students with a projector
NeONBRAND on Unsplash

With that said, however, the voices I have heard speaking positively about the field of education are few and far between. 

It’s time-consuming.

It’s thankless.

It’s not worth the small amount of money.

There aren’t any jobs.

Having holidays off isn’t even worth it.

You’ll go home every day crying.

The parents are ruthless.

You’re going to hate it.

Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

I haven’t even graduated yet and I have already second-guessed myself multiple times. Yes, this is somewhat normal for a 21-year-old, but it is unnerving when the reason for questioning myself comes from the words of other people. It’s even more frustrating when you realized that the people who are supposed to be encouraging are actually the ones who criticize you the most. I realized the most important thing I’ve learned in the last four years is that no matter how many people try to knock you down or advise against something that you are wholeheartedly passionate about, you need to stand back up and follow your heart. Cliché right? It’s the truth!

As I get closer and closer to actually starting my career, the negative opinions are going to flood my mind as I become “the newbie” in the teaching field. It’s my choice to either let it ruin each day or to learn from it and not be a medium for that negativity to travel through. If you have a dream, a passion, or a plan for yourself, don’t let pessimism flood your mind. Do what you are meant to do and enjoy proving others wrong.