This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Allyson Lippert

Year: Junior

Choosing John Carroll was both an easy and a difficult decision for me. My junior year of high school, I was dead set on Xavier. I’m from Norwalk and that’s a four hour drive. When I started the year, I wanted to get far away from my family and start over. However, as the year went on, I got out of my annoying teenager phase and realized I want to be able to come home and visit them as much as I can. It was during a mental breakdown on a visit to Miami of Ohio (a college three hours away at which I felt painfully out of place) that my mom suggested John Carroll.

At this point, Xavier was still my front runner, but I had my reservations because of the distance and because I just didn’t get “that feeling.” All my mom knew about JCU was that it was also a Jesuit University, and it was in Cleveland, only an hour and a half away. So, we set up a visit. I loved John Carroll from the moment we pulled on campus and so did my mom. I loved how enclosed it was. I loved that it looked like what I pictured college to be. I was finally getting that feeling like this was meant to be my home. I was from a small town and a small high school, but I liked visiting bigger cities. John Carroll gave me the small town/school feel but wasn’t in the middle of nowhere so there was still a ton to do. It was the first school I visited where I felt like I could fit in.

My mom bought me a sweatshirt, and I started my application when I got home. The only downside was the price tag. I applied for the Leadership Scholars program and waited. On my senior retreat, I got an email saying I got the scholarship. The rest was history. I committed to JCU when I got home from my retreat. John Carroll continues to be what I fell in love with and more. The people are awesome, I still like the size, and so much more. Choosing JCU was one of the best decisions of my life. Yeah, it’s a great school, and it’s going to take me to amazing places, but more importantly, I feel like a part of a great community. I chose JCU for a lot of the usual reasons (scholarship, reputation, programs, etc.) but mostly, I chose it because I felt at home, and I still do.

Natalie Bozimowski

Year: Freshman

As ridiculous as this may sound, I didn’t really choose John Carroll University, really it chose me. Before you roll your eyes, hear me out. Similar to now, when I was in high school, I was maybe one of the most indecisive girls you could meet. I could not decide on what I wanted for lunch, let alone what college I wanted to attend. So naturally, I applied to twelve schools. It’s all about having options, right? This entire process was something I stressed over for months, my poor parents can attest to this, as they had to put up with my constant stream of questions and fears. It really did not help that I had absolutely no clue as to what I even wanted to do with my life and, in many ways, I still don’t. The only thing I have always known for certain is that I absolutely, positively must love what I do.

My senior year of high school, while fun and everything your final year of high school should be, was also very stressful. I sent in all twelve applications early and hoped for the best (though I did not know what that could even mean). I remembered that my brother, now in his last year as an undergrad at Wheeling Jesuit, visited John Carroll, and he really liked it. My response to this was, “Well it’s in Ohio and if my brother likes it, I probably will not.” However, I was pleasantly surprised during my tour at how much I found myself thinking, wow, I’m actually pretty comfortable right now. In fact, I told my parents on the drive back to Michigan “I’m surprised. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.” But, I was determined that there still might be something even more special at another school. As I mentioned, I needed options.

A couple of months passed and my acceptance letter, accompanying my scholarship offer from JCU, arrived in the mail just in time for Christmas. I was excited and proud, but still unsure. I waited as the next few months slowly crept on agonizingly. Waiting for answers was absolute torture. I got into all of the schools I applied to, but the letters that would inform me whether or not I received my scholarships generally did not come until later. To someone as impatient as I am when it comes to getting answers, this waiting game was horrible. By the middle of March, I had my answers. I weighed my options and went on a couple more college visits.

This is what led me to my decision. Sure, the other places I visited were nice, but they weren’t John Carroll. I never felt that “comfortable” feeling anywhere else. Some of the schools I thought I wanted to go to, turned out to be more glamorous in my head, and I finally admitted to myself that I like the idea of them more than the actual schools. JCU was the first school I heard back from, and it had everything I both needed and wanted. The entire time it was in the back of my mind; it just took some time for me to realize it. Now that I am here, there is no way I could picture myself anywhere else.

Marisa Foley

Year: Freshman

I did not choose John Carroll because I love having people ask me to say “pahk the cah in hahvahd yahd” or because every time I use “wicked” to describe something, people laugh at me, or because of the snow. I chose John Carroll for many other reasons.

I knew ever since I was a little girl that I wanted to go away for college. Originally, I wanted to go all the way to California and become a movie star, but for many reasons and a lot of growing up, my goals and aspirations have changed. Once I started looking at colleges, I thought I wanted to go to a huge, public university. I had gone to Catholic school my whole life and wanted a different atmosphere. But, after visiting a few public universities, I realized that it was the opposite of what I wanted. John Carroll University had recruited at my high school, and after talking with the representative, I really loved the ideals and values that John Carroll stood for.

I visited John Carroll the summer going into my senior year and it immediately became one of my top schools. I really loved the architecture of the school, and my tour guide discussed all of the activities that were present on campus. I also heard about all the service opportunities that John Carroll had and I really loved that. I was always passionate about social justice and now particularly women and human rights, but I never had the chance to express my interests. When I heard about the Arrupe Scholars Program at John Carroll, I knew I had to apply.

Once I was accepted to John Carroll, I was ecstatic. But, I was still stuck between John Carroll and a couple other schools. John Carroll had offered me an interview for the Arrupe Scholars Program, and once I attended Interview Day, my mind was made up. I knew John Carroll was the place for me. The community at John Carroll was very welcoming, and I had that gut feeling that I belonged at John Carroll. My acceptance into the Arrupe Scholars Program made my decision to go to John Carroll even better. I would have the chance to express my interests with others who feel the same as I do. I think that this quote by Pedro Arrupe can accurately describe how I feel about my decision to join the John Carroll community, “Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything.”

John Carroll is my home away from home. I will admit it is difficult to be away from your parents and not have the opportunity to go home when you feel homesick, but I believe that it has made me a stronger and more independent person. John Carroll has helped me step outside my boundaries and has opened my mind. I am eternally grateful to attend John Carroll and am glad to say I’ve found where I belong.

Junior Integrated Marketing Communications major and Psychology minor. Fan of Netflix and her smartphone.
Marisa is a freshman at JCU and enjoys hot chocolate, the snow, and watching Friends. You can usually spot her on campus by recognizing her bright red hair and she loves being a member of John Carroll's chapter of Her Campus!
Brittany, a Senior at JCU, has a passion for tea, books, writing, and London. As an English major, you can usually find her curled up with a good book somewhere on-campus (usually in O'Malley). She loves everything about Her Campus, and she finds it extremely exciting and rewarding to be a Campus Correspondent!