What To Expect From Netflix’s “The Politician”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Ryan Murphy, creator of the hit television series “Big Little Lies,” is launching a new Netflix show entitled “The Politician,” which is set to star Gwyneth Paltrow and Barbra Streisand.

Murphy is hoping to one-up “Big Little Lies,” which has an all-star cast, featuring Reese Witherspoon, Shailene Woodley and Meryl Streep. He believes that Streisand will make “The Politician” stand out, which is much needed after Streep’s HBO debut.

Tony award-winner and “Pitch Perfect” star Ben Platt will play the lead role, a wealthy politician from Santa Barbara who competes in a brand new political race each season. Luckily, Platt has plenty of song and dance experience, which will come in handy for The Politician’s reported “many” musical performances.

“The Politician” was intensely sought after by Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, which caused a bidding war, to ensue between the three television networks. Eventually, however, negotiations were made, and it was decided that Netflix will air the show’s first two seasons.

Once Streisand’s deal fully goes through, she will be able to produce a few episodes of her own, the same goes for Paltrow. That being said, many have especially high hopes for Paltrow’s episodes, as she rung in an Emmy award for “Glee” in 2011.

Many details about the “The Politician” have yet to be revealed, as Murphy’s business deal with 20th Century Fox is set to expire at the end of the year.

Regardless, many are looking forward to Murphy’s “The Politician.” With Big Little Lies’ vast success, what’s not to be excited about?

JCU Campus Correspondent