We’re Doing It. We’re Ranking Christmas Movies (and Specials).

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

This is very important. Christmas movies, just like any other genre, is subject to ranking. These movies are golden, but some are more golden than others. To be honest, for this ranking, I really just did my own personal opinion. This ranking is admittedly very subjective (you may remember, I did list multiple criteria for my other movie rankings, and some have come with little explanations. This one is just a straight up ranking, with no explanation, because every explanation would just be “I love this movie, but not as much as the other movies”). So if you disagree with this list, that’s okay. But I did provide, for your entertainment, some of (what I think are) the best quotes from the movie. Except I’m not bothering to double check the quotes, so I may mess them up a little. It’s fine. Also, I have not seen all Christmas movies ever (I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I know I should’ve), so if your favorite isn’t even on here, that’s my bad.

Okay, here goes: The Top 10, in descending order…

10)  Miracle on 34th Street (1947 Version)

“Make a buck, make a buck. Even in Brooklyn it’s the same–don’t care what Christmas stands for, just make a buck, make a buck.”

“Christmas isn’t just a day, it’s a state of mind.”

“I believe, I believe…it’s silly, but I believe.”

9) The Year Without a Santa Claus

“Don’t be such a stranger. Come around with your husband, we’ll have a blizzard.”

“Some like it hot, but I like it REALLY hot.”

“No fighting, you two.” “Well, if I can’t have any fun, I might as well leave.”

8) Scrooge (Alastair Sim 1951 Version)

“Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?”

“I don’t know anything, I never did know anything, but now I know that I don’t know, all on a Christmas morning…I must stand on my head. I must stand on my head!”

“Waiter! More bread.” “Half-penny extra, sir.” “No more bread.”

7) Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

“But that’s what makes it so grand.”

“No one wants a skinny Santa!”

“Ten minute break…not for you!”

“Let’s be independent together.”

“There are more important things than comfort: self-respect!”

6) Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town

“He shall live with us, and sleep with us, and drink warm cocoa with us.”

“Oh what a good girl…oh what a good boy…what a big smile…all because of a toy.”

“Oh, Mr. Warlock!” “Uh, Winter, please.”

“Either they are going, or I am going, and I am certainly not going, Grimsley.”

5) Frosty the Snowman (1969 Version)

“Let’s make a party out of it! Let’s have a parade!”

“Well, I can count to five.”

“You wouldn’t be sneezing if you weren’t cold.”

“Oatmeal!” “Oatmeal??”

“No money? No ticket!”

4) Elf

“Good news: I saw a dog today. Have you seen a dog? You probably have.”

“We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns, and syrup.”

“85? That leaves you …915 off the pace.” “Why don’t you just say it? I’m the worst toy maker in the world. I’m a cottonheaded ninnymuggins.”  

3) Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas (original 1966 Version)

“It came without ribbons! It came without tags! It came without packages, boxes or bags!”

“He himself–the Grinch–carved the roast beast.”

“He hadn’t stopped Christmas from coming, it came! Somehow or other, it came just the same.”

2) A Charlie Brown Christmas

“I never thought it was such a bad little tree. It’s not bad at all, really. Maybe it just needs a little love.”

“On the contrary–I didn’t know I looked that good.”

“Not only is Christmas getting too commercial, it’s getting too dangerous.”

“All I want is what I have coming to me. All I want is my fair share.”

1) It’s a Wonderful Life

“My mouth’s bleeding, Bert! My mouth’s bleeding!!!”

“Why don’t ya kiss her instead of talking her to death?”

“But to you, a warped, frustrated old man, they’re cattle.”

“You don’t like coconuts? Say, brainless, don’t you know where coconuts come from?”

“George Bailey, I’ll love you till the day I die.” 

Honorable mentions (in order):

1. Home Alone (it’s an all-year-round movie, it should not be watched at Christmas alone)  

2. Garfield’s Christmas (you haven’t heard of it, but it’s great)  

3. Beauty and the Beast: An Enchanted Christmas (THE SONGS. VERY GOOD MOVIE. UNDERRATED.)  

4. A Very Merry Pooh Year (I love Winnie the Pooh, okay?)  

5. Frosty Returns (I mean. They tried.)  

6. A Christmas Story (I get that it’s a Cleveland thing, but like, this movie isn’t actually that good? Way overrated)  

7. Love Actually (SNOOZE FEST)  

8. Little Drummer Boy (it’s in the claymation style of Santa Claus is Coming to Town & Rudolph, but w o w it is terrible)  

I have not seen White Christmas. Have not seen National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. Have not seen Love Actually. 

I refuse to even consider all those Hallmark Romantic Christmas Movies because those are TRASH.  

Disney has a lot of other Christmas specials, plus there’s a Christmas special for like everything–Shrek, Madagascar, Trolls, etc.–so there’s those, but there are too many for me to care.  

I DO NOT LIKE Jim Carrey’s Grinch AT ALL. I’m sorry, I know that’s controversial, but I just don’t like it.

Well, there you go!!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Grace is a JCU senior, double majoring in Theology & Religious Studies and Political Science. She loves social justice, Disney, and joking about absolutely everything. Her specialty is ranking movies.
JCU Campus Correspondent