Underrated Words You Need to Add Your Vocabulary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Whether you decide to add them to your final paper to add a little finesse or to try to trick your professor into thinking you’re smarter then you’ve been letting on all semester, we guarantee these words will galvanize you.

Apricity – (Noun) The warmth of the sun in the winter

What we experience about 8 months out of the year in cleveland.

Callipygian – (Adjective) Having a well-shaped buttocks

A.k.a. boys who go to yoga.

Divagate – (Verb) To ramble, digress, stray from subject to subject

Technique used by professors who then go on to give the hardest and most nitpicky finals.

Galvanize – (Verb) Inspire, or stimulate.

Felt after attending a particularly interesting (and completely compulsory) weeknight lecture.

Gadarene – (Adjective) Engaged in a reckless rush toward destruction.

My strategy for the end of this semester.

Aubade – (Noun ) A love song sung at dawn.

Not the same thing as blasting 1D after getting off Cabby at 4 am.

Orthorexia – (noun) An obsession with only eating healthy foods.

People who avoid the pizza station.

Lucubrate – (Noun) To work in artificial light.

Results in a pale, sickly complexion that comes from studying in the library for 16 hours straight.

Troglodyte – (noun) a cave-dweller.

That guy from you art history class who somehow ALWAYS knows what days the professor is going to give a pop quiz, and somehow always manages to come only on those days.

Meliorism – (noun) The belief that the world can be made better by human effort.

Or, the desire to go forth and set the world on fire. 

Sophomore. Blue Streak. English Writing Major. Kappa Delta. When I'm lonely I set my phone's alarm to go off every fifteen minutes and pretend like people are texting me. Welcome to my exciting life.
Brittany, a Senior at JCU, has a passion for tea, books, writing, and London. As an English major, you can usually find her curled up with a good book somewhere on-campus (usually in O'Malley). She loves everything about Her Campus, and she finds it extremely exciting and rewarding to be a Campus Correspondent!