‘Tis the Season for Interviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

It is that time of year again – Meet the Accountants, Network for Success, Meet the Recruiters – are all upon us with a vengeance. And we have survived! Now, here is the problem: call back interviews are happening and there is nothing to wear. Let’s be real, we are in college, and our business outfits are sorely lacking. But what can we do as broke college students?

An article came out recently from the Wall Street Journal that discussed how women should dress appropriately for an interview, and I’m going break it down for you with a mix of what the dear old JCU Career Center thinks too.

First impressions are everything, so dress to impress! Find out the dress code for the interview and always dress slightly over that. One great tip is to wear a blazer because if that is too dressy you can take it off and still fit in with the dress code. If you do not have a blazer go get one! It is essential for your newly professional closet. Beachwood is right up the street: checkout H&M, Forever 21, Macy’s, and if you want a really nice one, go to Express or Banana Republic. With your new fancy blazer, match it with a basic (no, not the basic you are thinking) top with no prints. According to the Career Center, the less color the better, but as long as you don’t wear bright neon colors, your color choice should be just fine. Make sure it is not low cut, you want the interviewer to focus on the assets on your resume, not on your body. For your bottoms, slacks or a long pencil skirt will do. Pants must be hemmed and skirts need to be a classy length.

With your accessories, make sure they are not too flashy. The WSJ suggests no more than two at a time. That means a cute belt and a bracelet, or a necklace and earrings. Just don’t overdo it. Now, let’s talk shoes. The JCU Career Center is very adamant about no “toe cleavage.” What’s that? It is where you can see where your toes start in your pumps or flats. Yes, it’s a thing. Not just according to JCU but the Wall Street Journal as well. They don’t use the words “toe cleavage” but no toes, period. Heels no more than two inches and make sure they are black, navy, or nude.

Finally, test drive your outfit. Make sure that you can last in your shoes for over an hour, your interviewer might want to show you the office or factory, and I promise there will be stairs. Also, a great way to see if your skirt does not ride up when you sit down. These are all important tips that will help you to land your dream job, ladies. Now, let’s get ready to start our careers!

And remember to stay pretty, John Carroll!

Brittany, a Senior at JCU, has a passion for tea, books, writing, and London. As an English major, you can usually find her curled up with a good book somewhere on-campus (usually in O'Malley). She loves everything about Her Campus, and she finds it extremely exciting and rewarding to be a Campus Correspondent!