Thanksgiving Feast Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Classes that end at 6:15pm on the day of the Thanksgiving Dinner Feast are a special kind of torture. For an hour and fifteen minutes, we have to sit there and not think about turkey that’s actually flavorful, green beans that are actually warm, and mashed potatoes that are always yummy. Who can take notes at a time like this? Ugh, it’s only 6:14? Hurry up, you arbitrary timer device! The Feast gods hear my suffering, the clock changes to 6:15, and we can leave! (No offense, Dr. Butler, I’m just really hungry).

Rachel, Hannah, Kateri, and I all rush out of O’Malley and run down the sidewalk, laughing and giggling with anticipation. Thank God for a small campus. We reach the Atrium! The caf is near! Down the staircases we go, and we’re greeted with delicious wafting aromas calling us from the caf. We pass The Cubby and see the dark mood lighting in the caf. This is about to be good. And arriving late has its perks because we bypassed all of this craziness:

On the B side, we spot an open circle table and claim it without hesitation. There’s no time like the present to load up on some Thanksgiving grub. Since everyone was there earlier, we don’t have to stand in any obnoxious lines to get our hands on mac and cheese, stuffing, and carrots. But where are the mashed potatoes?! Take what you can, give nothing back, I suppose. Luckily there is plenty of turkey and ham, the main event. With a full plate and an empty stomach, I make my way back to our table to begin the feast.

Let’s talk about the tables. They have great tablecloths on every table. The colors alternate between crimson and gold, rich colors to accent the atmosphere. Most tables have a flower or candle centerpiece. Our table has a candle, and it’s REAL! Us college kids, we know how to act fancy when we’re around candles. You know what’s fancy? Tableside service from some of the kindest staff around. When we are done with our plates, they are cleared away within minutes from a staff member with a smile on her face and a compliment to give out. Overall, the staff went above and beyond to transform our dining hall to a traditional Thanksgiving Feast surrounded by family and loved ones.

Speaking of loved ones, there are still no mashed potatoes! Nevertheless, the turkey and ham burst with flavor. The green beans are warm and tasty. I hear the sweet potatoes are a little rough, but nobody’s perfect. One plate simply isn’t enough, so we go back for round two. Another helping of green beans and turkey are a must. AND THE MASHED POTATOES ARE HERE! I scoop a spoonful on my plate and put the “smile with tears of joy” emoji on my face. Two plates are just enough. I’m not too full, and I’m no longer hungry. As for the desserts, Hannah “Coolgirl” Domonkas gives two thumbs up for the pumpkin roll. We are satisfied.

The caf is usually a hit or miss. My last time at the Annual JCU Thanksgiving Dinner Feast went out with a bang.