Support Your DIII Athletes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

This past week, we honored our student athletes and coaches at John Carroll for NCAA DIII Week. Thursday night, the Carroll Crazies and SAAC hosted the massive “For the Love of the Game” event in the De Carlos Varsity Center. In the atrium, students received free shirts for DIII T-shirt Tuesday to support their fellow Blue Streaks. Even the cafeteria got in on the fun! The entire cafeteria was decked out in blue and gold, and the staff wore all of their JCU apparel.

What does DIII really mean?

The NCAA- or National College Athletic Association- distributes college sports into three different divisions. The divisions are simply named Division I, Division II, and Division III. There are a variety of differences between each group. Most of the regulations impact whether or not- and how much- a school can give out scholarships to potential athletes. However, the NCAA also seriously regulates DIII recruiting.

Universities are not permitted to give scholarships to DIII students based on their athletic ability. Game attendance is not closely monitored, and athletes are strongly encouraged to have a complete student-athlete experience. Unlike DI, DIII schools allow athletes to become a bigger part of their school community. They are able to join Greek life, be active members of clubs on campus, or even participate in immersion trips.

In short, DIII student-athletes are the perfect balance. They may not be on the fast track to becoming a professional athlete, but they’re able to become complete well-rounded individuals. Like any other time consuming extra-curricular activity, our Blue Streak athletes put a lot of time and energy into their sports. Conversely, they are able to devote an equal- if not greater!- amount of time to their studies.

And honestly? Isn’t that what John Carroll wants from their students? Becoming well-rounded and having the ability to explore the world around you is essential to receiving a liberal-arts education.  

How can we support our Blue Streak student-athletes? 

Did you know that DI schools are required to maintain an average of 15,000 attendees per game? 15,000! Can you imagine that? During some of this past season’s women’s basketball games we were lucky if we had a student section exceeding 20 people. It’s pitiful. And honestly? It’s downright embarrassing.

When asked about the sports teams, so many of students at John Carroll take the stance, “Well, it’s just DIII!”

Just DIII?! Our Blue Streaks work hard, and many of our Fall programs ended on a high note. Athletics can potentially be a unifying event fueled by camaraderie and school spirit. Sporting events are best enjoyed with friends. So, check the spring schedule and suit up!

When Her Campus put the spotlight on our Women’s Lacrosse Captains, their opinions were unanimous. They want to see more students in the crowd decked out in JCU Blue and Gold! So, let’s show some love for our student-athletes outside of NCAA DIII Week! They put in a lot of work on and off the field. Don’t let your support end after the NCAA DIII Week festivities!

Want to see a schedule for Blue Streak spring sports? Check out the JCU Sports webpage link!

Brittany, a Senior at JCU, has a passion for tea, books, writing, and London. As an English major, you can usually find her curled up with a good book somewhere on-campus (usually in O'Malley). She loves everything about Her Campus, and she finds it extremely exciting and rewarding to be a Campus Correspondent!