This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

I’m sure that many students will agree with the statement “this year is going by too quickly.” I know for myself the fall semester picked up speed and kept running without warning. Exams and midterms are fast approaching, with fall break soon after. It is important to stay on track and not get into a break/long-weekend mindset too early. The following tips will assist you in breaking down your work.

Keep track of assignments and due dates

• Don’t let due dates creep up on you by keeping track of assignments in an agenda or on a calendar. I use Google calendar to allow for flexibility, but to also get an idea of how to plan homework around events.

• Use sticky notes or reminders to break up large tasks into smaller ones, to make tasks more manageable.

Set time aside for studying and stick to it

• Often individuals get consumed in extracurriculars or other activities and socializing and push off studying for later. By setting aside a set amount of time, you will be able to stick to your task and break down the amount of work before the due date and be able to see how much time you have to juggle other tasks.

• Planning ahead is the most important part. I highly recommend planning out study times, breaks and meals to hold yourself accountable.

Overwhelmed? Take a break

• If your work becomes too overwhelming or you begin to get consumed, take a break and come back to it later. Not only will your brain thank you, but you will benefit from it too. Go outside and enjoy the nice weather while it’s still decent outside and get some fresh air, grab a meal with friends, watch a TV show, or any activity that gets your mind off of your current work. Taking a break will allow you to return to your work with a fresh mindset.

Work out

• In addition to taking a break occasionally, it is also beneficial to exercise to release stress that has built up and to increase energy to get more studying done. This is the chance to benefit both mental and physical health to take care of yourself.

Sleep

• It’s easy to give into watching TV, going out, and staying up late in the library. Don’t forget that your body needs rest too, and especially your brain. No matter how late you stay up studying for an early morning exam, you will not retain anything without a good night’s sleep. To prevent cramming, start studying earlier. If you are at the point where it may be too late to study earlier, go over key topics and focus on what you know the least. Try to have a consistent sleep/wake time to get your body in a habit of when you need to be alert.

Finally, realize that every student is just a student. We are still learning and figuring out what we are capable of. Don’t worry too much about one grade or missing an event. Put your best foot forward, take care of yourself, and push past anything that is dragging you down. Look to your friends and peers to help problem solve and continue to move forward each day. Take these tips within the next week to stay on top of your own methods of work and studying prior to enjoying a much needed long weekend.

Mallory Fitzpatrick is a senior at John Carroll University, who loves reading, writing, and travel.