Staff Spotlight: Marlon Robertson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

This week we decided to highlight one of our best writers and only male team member! Keep reading to hear more about own of our very own!

1. Year/ Major/ Hometown

Class of 2018 / International Business with Language and Culture / Berea, Ohio

1. What made you interested in Her Campus?

I first started reading Her Campus during my freshman year, and one of my favorite columns was “He Said/ She Said.” I was very disappointed when I found that they were no longer writing it! My friend and fellow Her Campus writer Natalie Bozimowski convinced me that if I liked it so much, I should join and write it myself! I went to one meeting and have been hooked ever since.

1. Is it ever intimidating to be the only male on the HCJCU team?

It certainly was at first. I felt like I was walking on eggshells at first, afraid to say something that might offend all the ladies. After a few meetings, though, it was clear to me that the HerCampus team is one of the most accepting and open groups on campus, and now I feel right at home.

1. What prompted you to go to John Carroll?

One of the best business schools in the area, a ton of service opportunities, a great community, and located only 20 minutes from downtown? Talk about a dream come true. John Carroll was actually the last school I toured, because as soon as it was over, I knew this was the school for me.

1. What is your favorite thing about JCU?

The best thing about JCU isn’t just the small community, it’s the fact that everybody here is so involved and passionate. Most universities have students who just want the degree and to be done. But not JCU—there are people who do sports, service, are involved with Campus ministries, are fighting for free trade or LGBTQ rights, want to showcase the positive aspects of their culture, or do many of the above! Being surrounded by such passionate and positive people isn’t only good for the school, it drives me to be a better person. I can tell you one thing—I will leave here a better, more open-minded man than when I came in.

1. What are you involved in at JCU?

I am part of the Arrupe Scholars program, the honors program, I write for Her Campus of course, and I am very involved in the Carroll Ballers program, as well as other services I happily do.

1. Do you have any hobbies?

Most people don’t know this about me, but I LOVE to garden. It is easily my favorite hobby, and the one that is also the most rewarding for me. I am a voracious reader, but I am pretty nerdy so I don’t read fiction and novels so much as nonfiction essays, opinions, and editorials. I can also play the Chinese Flute! Most of the time, though, you can catch me spending my free time playing videogames.

1. What is your favorite food?

Chicken wings, by a large margin. Peep me at Pizzazz on Monday wing nights!

1. Perfect date night: A date night at Dave N’ Busters has always been my top date idea. You get a nice dinner, and then can just have fun and play games for a few hours; there’s a good mix of formality with dinner and also relaxed getting to know each other with the games afterward.