jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Review of The 1975’s Newest Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

I was pleasantly awoken from my 30 min nap at 1 pm on October 24th to another single from The 1975. The single is called “Frail State of Mind” from their upcoming album Notes on a Conditional Form (NOACF). This recent release follows the first single of the album, The 1975, which was a spoken word piece featuring Greta Thunberg and the second single, “People,” a punk rock tune much different from anything ever heard from the band.

Image from @the1975 on Twitter

After the release of “People” this summer, I was interested to hear what the next single might sound like. Unlike “People,” “Frail State of Mind” has a very familiar techno-1975 sound. It initially reminded me of two songs from A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships, “TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME” and “How To Draw / Petrichor.”

Image from @the1975 on Twitter

Like many of The 1975’s songs, it references back to the last song of their most recent album A Brief Inquiry, “I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes)” when Matty sings “I’m sorry, but I always get this way sometimes.”

“Frail State of Mind” is a song that I can have on repeat for hours and not get sick of because it’s so easy on the ears which is why I have had it on repeat for the last 48 hours.

I am a Senior Accountancy major at John Carroll University. I spent Fall 2017 studying abroad in Italy, inspiring me to also pursue a major in Italian Studies. I plan to pursue my Masters of Accountancy after graduating in December 2019.