This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

This Tuesday, Nov. 6, is the midterm election, and even though the midterm elections might not be as flashy as the presidential election, it’s just as important. You live in a democracy, and every voice counts! Now, I was going to explain all of the many (many many) reasons why you (YOU) need to (NEED TO) vote, I realized that actually there are lots of people who have already said it much better than I could. So, if you’re on the fence, take it from some of these people:

“Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom.” -Martin Luther King

“For anybody here who has an ancestor who didn’t have the right to vote and you are choosing not vote, you are dishonoring your family, you are disrespecting and disregarding their legacy, their suffering, and their dreams.” –Oprah Winfrey

“Some of you may think I’m exaggerating when I say this November’s elections are more important than any I can remember in my lifetime, but this moment really is different. The stakes really are higher. The consequences of any of us sitting on the sidelines are more dire.” –Barack Obama

“Not all heroes wear capes…some wear voting stickers.” –Taylor Swift

“Anyone who says they are not interested in politics is like a drowning man who insists he is not interested in water.” –Mahatma Gandhi

“Let’s rise up, register and let our voices be heard.” –Chadwick Boseman

“Don’t think 4 a second that it doesn’t matter. #GoVote” –Fergie

“The ballot is stronger than the bullet.” –Abraham Lincoln

“Voting is a right we can’t take for granted. If you want to make change, you have to act. Go to the polls and let your voice be heard.” –Pharrell Williams

“There’s nothing Americans love more than posting online who you should vote for. You tweet and you snap and you gawk, but if you don’t show up and vote, it’s all just talk.” –Lin-Manuel Miranda

“When we vote, we prove that we are a democracy, with a government of people and by the people.” –Tom Hanks

“Voting is the only way to ensure that our values and priorities are represented in the halls of power. And it’s not enough to just vote for president every four years. We all have to vote in every single election.” –Michelle Obama

To find your polling place or information on the candidates, look here.

V O T E.

Grace is a JCU senior, double majoring in Theology & Religious Studies and Political Science. She loves social justice, Disney, and joking about absolutely everything. Her specialty is ranking movies.
JCU Campus Correspondent