Profile of the Week: Mikayla Ortiz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Name: Mikayla Ortiz 

Year: Junior

Major: History (Concentration in Latin America) and Spanish, possible minor in foreign affairs

Hometown: Cleveland/ North Ridgeville

What are you involved in on campus? 

You’re looking at the president of your friendly neighborhood Latin American Student Association aka LASA. I also attend the weekly La Hora del Café meetings. 

What is your favorite thing about JCU? 

My squad, definitely #squadgoals  But besides squad, my favorite thing about JCU is how small it is. That way I can get to know people better. Also, I never have to walk more than 10 minutes which is very important to me since I’m lazy AF.

Favorite spot on campus? 

When it’s not sub-zero weather, I like to hang out on the quad and people watch while I pretend to do homework. When it is freezing I hang in the tween and people watch while I pretend to do homework. 

Favorite class you’ve taken here (and why)? 

I’d say any of my Latin American history classes because that is a field that I’m actually interested in and there is so much to learn, but it’s not regularly taught. 

What made you decide to become more involved with LASA? 

I’m very proud of my culture, so becoming involved with LASA was almost inevitable. I think it’s extremely important to have a place on campus where people can come and celebrate the LatinX culture, have fun, and learn about other latinxs. Especially with all the stigma and stereotypes around about Latinxs, I wanted to be involved in showing people who we truly are and share the love and family values that we treasure in our culture. 

If you were stranded on an island, who would you bring with you and why? 

Realistically, I’d probably bring my friend Sam because she’s the most outdoorsy person I know and I feel like she would know what berries not to eat. Unreaslitically, I’d bring the minions from Despicable Me because they seem fun and why not?

What is your dream job? 

I’d want to be the Green Lantern… Or I’d want to be the new host of “What Not to Wear.”

What is most important to you? 

My family, friends, food. 

Did you make any New Years resolutions this year? 

Hell no. I never make it more than two days before I either break them or completely forget I even made one. 

Who is your celeb crush? 

William Levy. Yaaaaas!

What inspires you? 

Sleep and food mostly. 

What is your dream vacation? 

I’ve always wanted to go to Machu Picchu… But I want to take a hot air balloon there because I don’t do llamas.