This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

With Valentine’s Day coming up, you might be thinking about writing that special someone a beautiful poem. It’s no easy task. When looking for the right words to express your love and affection, consider drawing inspiration from some of the oldest sources we have: the ancient Greeks. Greek lyric poetry is some of the most beautiful surviving literature out there. When you’re composing your love letter, poem, or note to your partner, address them with one of these epithets, sure to earn their admiration and make a good impression:

τανύσφυρος (tanuphuros), slender-ankled

This is a weirdly common and specific epithet, but a great way to let your partner know you’ve been paying attention. Showing your ankles has long been regarded with scandal for women in particular–get a little risque this year by highlighting your S.O.’s lovely ankles.

χρυσοστέφανος (krusostephanos) – golden-crowned

Looking to treat your partner like a prince, princess, or otherwise royal member? Golden-crowned is an elegant way to tell them you’ll treat them right, with respect and awe, like royalty.

Courtesy: Listverse

διοτρεφέος (diotrepheos) – Zeus-cherished

Is your partner literally a gift from the gods? Let them know with this word meaning adored or cherished by Zeus, king of the gods.

ἀγλαόδωρος (aglaodoros)- shining gift-bearer

This is a beautiful word to tell your significant other how happy they make you. Their love is a shining gift to you, as yours is to them.

ὡρηφόρος (horaphoros) – bringer of the seasons

Does your S.O. make it feel like spring has come early? This epithet, usually used for Demeter, an agricultural goddess, conveys how warm and hopeful your partner makes you feel.

Courtesy: Wikipedia

βαθύζωνος (bathuzonos) – deep-girded/deep-belted

I’m gonna be honest: I’m not totally sure what this one means. It seems to have something to do with where and how you belt your dress. Frankly, I’m not even 100% sure it’s a compliment. But it’ll doubtless impress your date with your obscure knowledge.

πολύτροπος (polutropos) – much-turned, many twists

This word is famously used to describe the great Greek hero, Odysseus, renowned for his cleverness. If you seek to compliment your partner’s intelligence and enigma, this is the word for you.

τερπικέραυνος (terpikeraunos) – delighting in thunder

This kingly epithet is given to Zeus, ruler of the gods. For the S.O. who has a wild side and loves a good storm this is the perfect epithet. Just…be careful. Zeus wasn’t exactly known for his fidelity.

Courtesy: HowStuffWorks

γλαυκῶπις (glaukopis) – gleaming-eyed

Most often applied to the goddess Athena, this word means to have gleaming, flashing, or shining eyes. This is the perfect word for a S.O.with beautiful eyes, and much more original than that ‘blue-as-the-sky’ stuff.

τηλαυγής (talaugas) – far-shining, far-beaming

Associated with the moon-goddesses of the ancient world, this is a great word to show your partner how they shine in your eyes. The beautiful glow and shimmer of the moon makes a lovely comparison for your S.O.

Mallory Fitzpatrick is a senior at John Carroll University, who loves reading, writing, and travel.