The Pixar Pairing of Buzz Lightyear and Jessie From “Toy Story 3”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Ever since Jessie’s (Joan Cusack) debut to the “Toy Story” series in 1999, a romantic aura has been present in the legendary Pixar trilogy (soon to be four-ogy). While her character has impacted Disney and child viewers in several different ways, no one is more affected by the red-headed cowgirl than Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen), a crime fighting astronaut. Their relationship first began in “Toy Story 2,” when Jesse officially added to Andy’s toy chest. When Buzz first laid eyes on her, he was enamored by her “hair full of yarn,” and rodeo-driven antics. Fast forward to 2010, when “Toy Story 3” premiered, and their relationship took on a whole new level. As their romance progressed and matured, so did their characters, and they finally reached Woody’s (Tom Hanks), the series’ central protagonist, level of significance.

In “Toy Story 2,” Jessie admits that she was left behind and forgotten about by her previous owner, a fear that continues to plague her in the third film, and for good reason. Now 17, Andy prepares to embark on his college journey, a voyage that excludes his loyal toy companions – including Jessie, Buzz and his beloved Woody. When they’re all thrown into a trash bag, her lifelong fear reawakens, as she feels abandoned and unloved. Honestly, who wouldn’t? After years of bringing joy and entertainment to someone, who would expect to be donated or, in their case, (accidentally) thrown away? Although Buzz also fears abandonment, he continues to comfort his cowgirl cohort, even when he loses his memory at Sunnyside Daycare.

While being thrown away is certainly an undesirable fate, the toys’ treatment at Sunnyside definitely isn’t ethical. In addition to being abused by toddlers in the Caterpillar Room, the gang is continually harrassed and manipulated by Lotso Huggin’ Bear (Ned Beatty), who’s in charge of the daycare, and his band of loyal followers, which includes Ken (Michael Keaton), Big Baby and a Chatter Telephone. When Buzz tries to combat the “toy authority,” Lotso erases his memory, and reverts his primary language to Spanish. As stated before, his memory loss doesn’t interfere with the romantic feelings he has for Jessie – if anything, he’s more vocal about their brewing romance when his memories disappear. After this change occurs, Buzz and Jesse spend more time together, as they can’t escape Sunnyside’s maltreatment alone.

In the first “Toy Story” film, Buzz is somewhat of an antagonist, as he compromises Woody’s title of “Andy’s favorite toy.” The same goes for Jessie in “Toy Story 2,” as she’d rather be a collector’s item than a child’s toy, a goal that goes against Woody’s plan. Although both characters are first portrayed as villains, they soon become major protagonists in the “Toy Story” franchise. After joining forces with Woody, Buzz and Jessie soon became audience favorites, as they provide comic relief, act heroically and entertain Andy (as well as audience members) for as long as they can. When their romance comes into full bloom during the third film, viewers favor them even more, as their unlikely pairing is both unexpected and endearing – they’re (arguably) the most iconic Pixar couple of all time.

JCU Campus Correspondent