courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Our Thoughts on Galentine’s Day Vs. Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

More and more each year we are seeing festivities in celebration of Galentine’s Day posted throughout our social media feeds on February 13. It all began with the beloved show, Parks and Recreation. Here some of our staff members comment on what they celebrate this year and thoughts on this particular holiday season.

Do you celebrate Galentine’s Day, Valentine’s Day or Both? How do you celebrate, or what’s your favorite VDay memory?

Grace Blanchard: Both. I think that you should celebrate all of your relationships on Valentine’s Day, whether they are romantic or friendly. If you love someone, you should celebrate that no matter what. I always give out little paper valentines to all my friends. This year I have Winnie the Pooh ones and they are so adorable. (Btw, there is also a Winnie the Pooh Valentine’s Day special called ‘A Valentine for You.’ It is precious. Watch it.)”

Nina Carrino​: “Galentine’s Day, because I think it is important to celebrate women’s friendship. Too many girls base their worth/value on being in a romantic relationship when really it is our friendships that are more special and meaningful. Usually I celebrate by watching a movie that is on brand (a rom-com, magic mike, or 50 shades) and a heart shaped pizza.”

Mallory Fitzpatrick: “Not really very much of either. I guess I’ve just never had the occasion—If anything, just eating whatever candy or cookies I got from home.”

Mary Kosanke: “Both. I’m not huge into celebrating one or the other, but I do really like Galentine’s day, as it promotes the idea you don’t have to be in a relationship to celebrate Valentine’s. I don’t usually celebrate. If I do it’s with candy and appreciation. I enjoy how it’s a ‘pick me up’ in a mid-winter month that’s filled with school work. It’s also quite a universal way of positive expression, once again regardless of relationships.”

Dana Shugrue: “I guess I celebrate both! I love spending time with my gal pals, but I enjoy hanging out with my guy friends too! My favorite Vday memory is definitely making Valentine’s boxes and handing out valentines to my friends in grade school.​”

Bridget Trainor: “I don’t really celebrate either. Personally I don’t see the reason for the holiday, however I love the rom coms that are on tv during this time! My favorite way to celebrate is to eat candy and watch rom coms. They’re my favorite!​

Carrie Valletto: “I don’t really celebrate either. But if shoving my face with chocolate covered strawberries and other chocolate counts as celebrating Valentine’s Day, then I guess I do!​ My favorite Valentine’s Day tradition is getting chocolate-covered strawberries!​”