pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Operation Hydration Spotlight: Dan Volpe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Name: Dan Volpe (most people call me Volpe)

Year: Senior

Hometown: Willoughby, Ohio

Major: I am a double major in Physics and Chemistry

JCU Involvement: American Chemical Society, Student Leadership Team for CSSA, Society of Physics Students, Sigma Phi Epsilon, We the People  

Tell us a little about the project:

“Operation Hydration” is a two-part campaign that focuses on relief and advocacy.

The first part is sponsored by JCU’s Upsilon chapter of  Sigma Phi Epsilon, and will focus on raising funds to purchase water for the people of Flint, Michigan, whose current water crisis has made national news. We’ve has reached out to seven other northern Ohio universities along the route to Flint, encouraging them to join the relief effort. From there, we will be embarking on a “water caravan” and we will be taking the donations we receive up to Flint, stopping at each of the other universities that are helping with the relief effort on the way. Collectively, all of our groups will deliver the clean water to the people of Flint and we will stand with them and engage in a conversation about their experience.

The advocacy side of the campaign will start with a workshop and discussion panel to increase awareness of the situations in both Flint and other regions of our country. It is my hope that this event will inspire others to take action in these types of problems. All are welcome to attend. It will take place on March 10 in the Murphy room of the Student Center.

What are you hoping to accomplish?

My experiences from Dr. Welki’s First Year Seminar class and involvement with CSSA have helped define my desire to be a Jesuit man for and with others. It is simply inexcusable that there is little to no accountability on the government institutions involved. These organizations have taken limited action to provide assistance and solutions for their citizens. Thus, I find it important to act as student-citizens to raise awareness of the problems at hand, taking action and holding those who have caused this responsible.

How did you get involved with this project?

My passion for water began when I asked myself, ‘Why do the different water sources on campus all taste different? Is it safe to be drinking this water? I addressed this question in my senior chemistry project, by collecting and analyzing different water

samples from various high-traffic water fountains at John Carroll, and comparing them to the EPA regulations. My passion was only amplified when I realized there’s a national need to understand the water we drink. Using my experiences with chemistry, and supplemental knowledge from the Environmental Issues Group (EIG) and the African-American Alliance (AAA), I created this initiative to ultimately advocate for other people.

Anything else you want us to know about the work that you are doing?

After getting this project off the ground, my next big goal is to bring a nonprofit for people with special needs, RallyCap Sports. I got to experience the power of the organization while visiting Bowling Green State University! I was partnered with Alex, we bonded over playing Minecraft and basketball even though he was blind! It was like Danie’s day but even better because you get partnered with a buddy for a whole season! The organization also puts on a lot of events such as dances and a Thanksgiving dinner!

Words of wisdom for your fellow JCU-ers?

Get involved, serve others and meet as many people as you can, it’s never too late to make a difference!

Her Campus JCU wishes Dan the best of luck on this project, and we hope to be seeing everyone on March 10!

Operation Hydration asks that you donate any extra dollars you may have to their cause, which will be used to purchase pallets of water to be delivered on the weekend of March 12th.

Dan has created a survey to gauge student interest at JCU about his next project, RallyCap Sports. Click on the link below to take the survey:

http://goo.gl/forms/ljxGrCo1Kg

Any questions about the program can be directed to Dan Volpe at dvolpe16@jcu.edu

Sophomore. Blue Streak. English Writing Major. Kappa Delta. When I'm lonely I set my phone's alarm to go off every fifteen minutes and pretend like people are texting me. Welcome to my exciting life.