New Music Releases: Harry Styles, Maggie Rogers, The Japanese House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

It’s no doubt that 2019 has been a blessing for me in terms of music. This year I went through more change than I’ve ever and I’ve really latched onto music to help me through it all. At the beginning of 2018, I got back into my favorite band of all time, The 1975, after a couple of years of listening to country music (gross). I still tend to have a hard time getting into new music outside of my favorite artists, but I’m getting better. After a rough week, I was blessed with singles from some of my favorite artists. 

“Watermelon Sugar” by Harry Styles

While I definitely can’t label myself as a Harry stan because it would be plain disrespectful to the true fans, but how can you not love this man? In short, this song slaps. I have no insightful knowledge of music in general so I’m not sure what else I can say. If you haven’t listened to it already, get on it. Harry releases his second solo album on December 13th.

Image from @harrystyles on Instagram

“Love You For A Long Time” by Maggie Rogers

This release is really personal and cool to me because I got to hear this song live in Columbus in September when she played it live for the first time. She said she wrote it while finishing up her album and just never had time to produce it for the album. I’m very excited to sing this to my dog Chase when I get home; the only boyfriend I’ll ever need. It’s the upbeat love song I expect from Maggie, and I’m really enjoying it.

Image from @maggierogers on Instagram

“Chewing Cotton Wool” by The Japanese House

While I always say The 1975 is my favorite band hands down, The Japanese House has to be a very close second. I’m actually kind of worried they might overtake The 1975 for my Spotify Wrapped 2019. This song hits the sad spot I need it to. It was only released a day ago, and I’ve already had it play on repeat while I sleep.

Image from @thejapanesehouse on Instagram

Hopefully one of these three songs hits a nerve with you.

From Giphy

I am a Senior Accountancy major at John Carroll University. I spent Fall 2017 studying abroad in Italy, inspiring me to also pursue a major in Italian Studies. I plan to pursue my Masters of Accountancy after graduating in December 2019.