This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

The past few weeks have been difficult: an abrupt change to remote classes, students being forced to leave campus, and now, most of us are following a Shelter-in-Place order. Being confined to your house doesn’t have to be completely terrible. I have compiled some great Netflix shows to keep us (temporarily) occupied. 

pug in a blanket
Unsplash

Derry Girls

If you want a 90s era vibe during your alone time, Derry Girls is the perfect show for you. The series follows a group of teens in Derry, Northern Ireland. During the latter part of the 20th century, Ireland and Northern Ireland were plagued by The Troubles. Derry Girls incorporates dark humor with the struggles of adolescence. Bonus: If you went to Catholic School (especially an all-girls Catholic school) then this will make you laugh even harder. 

I’m Not Okay with This

I was first drawn to I’m Not Okay with This because of the IT movie stars, Sophia Lillis and Wyatt Oleff. It didn’t take me long to enjoy the series for more than the actors though. I’m Not Okay with This is based on a graphic novel by Charles Forsman, so there is a mix of a classic teen TV show with some paranormal aspects. Bonus: Although it takes place in modern times, I’m Not Okay with This has a lot of 70s through 90s vibes.

On My Block

On my block Netflix
Netflix

The third season of On My Block was released on Netflix just a few weeks ago and has quickly become a hit. On My Block tells the story of young teenagers in Los Angeles. Besides having to navigate high school, these teens also deal with real-life issues like violence, poverty, and racial tensions. Bonus: Los Angeles has objectively better weather than Cleveland. It’s nice to see characters actually wearing shorts. 

Ozark

By now, most of us have heard about Ozark (or at least heard the name). This *stressful* drama is great to take your mind off of quarantining and remote learning. It’s one of those shows that can completely suck you in. If you aren’t familiar with the premise, Ozark follows the Byrde family and their scramble to launder money for a drug cartel. The new season of Ozark was released a few days ago and the series is #2 on Netflix today. 

Stay tuned for more entertainment recommendations during the quarantine.