Need a Bit of Help Staying Fit?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

The first month of the 2015 is coming to a close and the motivation to keep some of those “New Year’s resolutions” may be dwindling away as well. Everyone knows that one of the most common and least kept New Year’s resolutions is to lose weight. Reasons why this is such a popular resolution? Well, it varies per person: whether to jumpstart a healthier lifestyle, to hold oneself accountable to train for a marathon, or to make your ex regret that he/she ever let a catch like you get away, losing some weight is an appealing goal.

Appealing idea though it may be, actually losing weight is no happy carrot and celery stocked picnic. Unhealthy food cravings, lazy days, getting swamped in school work, all of these things can inhibit one from diligently following their weight loss regimes. But do not despair! A revolutionized product has responded to the public’s cry for help to be healthier. The FitBit has come to the rescue!

The FitBit is a wireless device that you wear on your wrist to monitor your daily physical activity. The most common design of FitBit is the FitBit Flex, which is recommended for everyday use. This is not your average pedometer. It can monitor everything from how many steps you take, how many calories you burn, and how many miles you travel over the course of the day. It even has the nifty feature of monitoring, not only the amount of sleep you gain over the course of a night, but the quality of sleep as well. Perhaps this will help you kick your habit of staying up until 3 a.m. to go to bed earlier and to spend your time more efficiently during the day like a respectable citizen.

So, the FitBit essentially monitors every daily action. At approximately the length of your thumbprint, this is quite an impressive feat. All of the information the Bit tracks over the course of the day is stored, analyzed, and then organized into graphs on an app for your smartphone and computer so you can view your progress over time. There are also components you could manually monitor and log on the app, such as how many ounces of water you drink, the food you eat, your weight, and description of the type of exercise you did that day. This is handy for anyone who want to hold themselves accountable to seriously attempt weight loss or to live a healthier lifestyle.

The FitBit, in theory, is supposed to monitor all of your daily actions every day, therefore it is meant to be worn 24/7, except for the few hours it takes to charge once a week. This may seem strange to some, but I, as a proud owner of a FitBit for a little over a month, can testify that it is easy to adjust to always having a rubber wristlet on. For one thing, it is lightweight and comfortable, in no way inhibiting one’s range of movement. The FitBit is also waterproof, so it can be worn in the shower or swimming as well. In all honestly, if it is not in my constant line of sight, I forget that it is even there.

The rubber wristlet that holds the FitBit comes is a variety of colors, such as black, slate, violet, lime, pink, teal, tangerine, navy, red, and blue, and some even come in designs and patterns that you can buy separately. You might ask, “But what if I want to look classy to that job interview? Won’t this rubber bracelet detracts from my professional outfit?” Well, the answer lies in the ingenuity of designer Tori Burch. Burch designed an elegant bracelet with a hidden chamber for the FitBit to be secured into that comes in silver, gold, and rose gold. Who says that fitness could not be fashionable?

With a FitBit, fitness is always on your mind. Walking to class and watching your number of steps steadily increase from your app brings the sense of satisfaction or intermittently tapping on your Bit throughout the day to be met with the glowing progress report of your day’s activeness in pulsating glowing circles. These circles correspond on how close you are to achieving your daily goals of taking x amount of steps, burning x amount of calories, or walking for an x amount of miles. When a FitBit wearer taps on his/her Bit, between 1 and 5 dots light up to show if you have barely met your goal of the day, with one slow blinking dot, or telling you that you have almost met your daily goal, with four glowing dots with the fifth blinking rapidly. The best part of your day is when your FitBit starts vibrating and the dots perform a light dance, celebrating with you for achieving your goals!

So I encourage anyone who is serious about losing weight or adapting a healthier lifestyle to consider getting a FitBit. It truly is a worthy investment that will motivate you to live a fitter lifestyle, and it will hold you accountable to the personal goals you set. I have already seen the results of being more aware of my daily actions and choices, so I fully believe in this product. Unless you want to hire a personal trainer to follow you around all day, I cannot think of a more effective way to inspire you to live fitter and live healthier. Get moving, get motivated, and get the Fit Bit!

Nina is currently a Senior at John Carroll University and has been writing for Her Campus since she was a Freshman. 
Brittany, a Senior at JCU, has a passion for tea, books, writing, and London. As an English major, you can usually find her curled up with a good book somewhere on-campus (usually in O'Malley). She loves everything about Her Campus, and she finds it extremely exciting and rewarding to be a Campus Correspondent!