NBA Playoff Season in Cleveland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Well, Cavs fans, it’s that time of year again! Buckle your seatbelts and get ready for an intense road to the NBA Finals!

While I may not have experienced the full effect of Cleveland’s 52-year championship drought, I spent a total of 17 years waiting for my favorite sports teams to make our city proud. When the Cavs finally “restored the kingdom” last summer, I was beyond ecstatic, and I’m hoping our cavaliers bring home another Larry O’Brien trophy for us to admire and put on display. Needless to say, most of my fellow Clevelanders are pretty hopeful as well, and they aren’t afraid to exude their hometown pride.

Flashback to June of last summer: one of my best friends, Molly, and I were walking around downtown Cleveland, taking a stroll on the shore of Lake Erie and taking tourist-y pictures with LeBron’s famous mural, though we ourselves are Cleveland natives. We were more than excited for The Finals to start, and almost incapable of containing our anticipation and enthusiasm. However, despite our feelings of excitement, slight doubt and anxiety, Molly and I were convinced: 2016 is Cleveland’s year for a championship win.

We, along with my diehard Cleveland family, felt every feeling imaginable during the 2016 NBA Finals. We laughed, cried, cheered and nearly became sick with excitement and anxiety – especially when Golden State took (and blew) a 3-1 lead. As of now, I’m more concerned with the Cavaliers surviving the playoffs, but The Finals are always in the back of my mind.

As May quickly approaches in its playoff glory, with The Finals not far behind, I can’t help but think about Cleveland and its sports team pride. While I do love watching Cavs games, my favorite part of playoff season is spending time with my fellow Clevelanders and strolling around the 2-1-6, surrounded by wine and gold, my favorite basketball players and ecstatic Cleveland fans.

JCU Campus Correspondent