Career

My Number One Tip for Staying Confident in the Office

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Last Winter/Spring I completed my first big four accounting internship. Luckily everything went well, and I received a full-time offer to start when I complete my masters in 2021. I’m also lucky enough to be returning to my firm this Winter/Spring for a seasonal internship. This got me thinking about something I started doing regularly during my internship that (I think) helped me build a lot of confidence this year. I tend to be an extremely lazy person with little to no self-discipline, so I promise it’s extremely simple and takes no effort.

Image from Pexels

Every time you go to the bathroom, take a second before you head back out and pull your shoulders back and stand tall. That’s it!

Now if you’re already someone with really great posture, this might be a pointless tip. As someone who spends their entire day at a desk, my posture tends to get really bad. I’m not super sure why I started doing this, but it allowed me to pause for a second and present myself in a more confident light.

I can’t confirm that this is the reason why my self-confidence has reached a level that it has never been close to this year. Guess you’ll just have to try it out for yourself. Walk into that meeting (or just back to your desk) with your head held high, lovelies!

I am a Senior Accountancy major at John Carroll University. I spent Fall 2017 studying abroad in Italy, inspiring me to also pursue a major in Italian Studies. I plan to pursue my Masters of Accountancy after graduating in December 2019.