This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Our campus celebrity this week is our very own Melissa Spahar. Her personality shows all the students at JCU what team spirit is all about. She is not only an inspiration for her team, but they have also inspired her to do her very best on the court. We all know the girl from the basketball court, but now she shares with us her experiences, advice, and her life at JCU.

What are you studying at John Carroll?

My major is Criminology and I have a minor in Communications

What is your favorite thing about JCU?

My favorite thing about JCU probably is the people I have met and how close the JCU community is. I have met some of my best friends here at JCU.

Looking back as a senior, what is one piece of advice you would give to freshmen?

Well I have two things: the first one I don’t know if it really is advice, but what I have realized is that these four years fly by. I remember as a freshman saying “I can’t wait to graduate,” I completely take that back now. I would do anything to go back and be a freshman again! And second thing don’t be afraid to fail an exam. Don’t be afraid of failing anything. Failure is learning, and that’s what college is all about. Oh and only take an 8 am class if you absolutely have to.

How does it feel to be considered a celebrity on campus?

Ha-ha, I do not really see myself as a celebrity on campus at all. I wish I could say I did something cool to be called a “celebrity”, but I just play basketball and I happen to be alright at it.

How long have you been playing basketball?

I have been playing basketball for as long as I can remember; it is funny because my mom was my first basketball coach, so she always jokes how she taught me everything I know.

What is one thing you wish everyone knew about you?

There is a lot of things people may not know about me, one thing is that I am very shy until you get to know me and then you won’t believe the things that I say. Something that is interesting about me that I don’t think that much people know is that I was not going to play basketball at JCU. I came here because I like to be close with my family and then it was up in the air if I want to play and I gave it a shot and it all worked out.

Are you involved with anything else on campus?

No, school, basketball, and having some sort of social life is enough for me. But I do wish that I had joined other groups when I was a freshman.

Would you change anything about your college experience?

I would not want to change anything about my college experience. Everything that I have done and gone through at JCU made me the person I am today. I have loved every second of JCU, and yes there were a lot of bumps in the process, but I do not regret anything.

What can you tell us about the most points scored record that was recently broken?

I am very happy and proud of myself, but I am more proud of my team. Honestly, if it weren’t for them I wouldn’t be breaking any records. I go out and play to win and if I do well that’s a plus. I try my hardest and have fun, and I am so happy for our team and what we have all contributed!

How has basketball at JCU changed your life?

Basketball is not just a sport; basketball has made me grow up. When I first came in as a freshman, I had no leadership experience and also no time management skills. Now I can honestly say I have become a great leader. With time management, basketball has made me really break down what I have to do for the week. Being on the JCU basketball team has been the best time of my life through the people I have met and the bus rides, it is just a great experience. We are like a family and I love it.

Hello there! I am a sophomore at John Carroll University. I am majoring in Sociology with a double minor in Engish and Peace, Justice, and Human Rights so I stay pretty busy. I someday hope to go into Social Work and then go on to help end the stigma associated with mental health. I am a proud Kappa Delta and will often be sporting my letters. You will either find me singing songs from Frozen on the KD floor, in the library, or grabbing a quick decaf coffee before class.
Allison Gall is a senior English major at John Carroll University. She is also a member of Kappa Delta Sorority. While not doing school work, Allison is involved in several other activities, including working with her church and taking Taekwondo. Allison also loves to read and write, sing, play violin, swim, and run. She is also interested in fashion, and she is known among her friends as the go-to person for hair and makeup help.