Meals On A Minimum: Basil Pesto Chicken

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

As a senior in college, I’m really feeling the strain of my student loans while parents are helping me less and less each month. With that said, recently I have found a passion for cooking healthy meals on a dime because I have a tight budget to work with. This week, I wanted to share a recipe I found (thank you, Pinterest) that was delicious, inexpensive, and lasted me almost a whole week with leftovers! It is not vegetarian friendly but it is very nutricious.

Basil-Pesto Chicken Bake:

The list of things you need to make this dish is very short: chicken breast, tomato, mozzarella cheese (slices or shredded), and basil-pesto sauce (from a jar). 

All four of the ingredients are relatively cheap when considering how much the dish makes and how many leftovers you can save.

First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pretty simple right? 

Okay, next place your chicken breasts side by side in a baking dish.

Then take your basil-pesto sauce and coat the tops of each chicken breast before laying mozzarella cheese on top of it. Got it so far?

Next, slice your tomato and place the slices on top of that (Each piece of chicken should have 2-3 slices on it depending on how big your tomato is).

Then add more cheese to your liking. By this time, your oven should be heated and read yto go.

Place the dish uncovered in the oven and set your timer to 30 minutes! (It might need more time than that if your chicken is on the thicker side. Just check it after the 30 minutes is up.)

When its done, let it cool for a bit and enjoy! I like pairing this with a garden salad and voila! You have a cheap and simple dinner for multiple nights!