This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Hometown: Willoughby, OH

Year at JCU: Junior

Major: Communications & Sociology

It’s safe to say if you attend John Carroll, you have at some point run into Matt Hribar.  Whether it’s listening to WJCU, announcing late night BINGO, or through his ability to float around campus involvement, this Communications and Sociology double major has an unquestionable presence on campus.  This week, Her Campus selected this “Hribstar” as our Campus Celebrity, and sat down with the man responsible for the Welcome Back Concert last Saturday, September 6th to discuss future projects.   

Why JCU?

It was between JCU and the Niagara University.  I was concerned about getting away from Ohio, but once I visited and got a feel for the campus, I knew.  I think a lot of people from home were expecting me to get out, get further away, but it doesn’t make a difference.  If location were truly an issue, I wouldn’t have preferred John Carroll, so I stayed local.  I love Cleveland.  216 for life.  My decision was really about the campus life.  The fact that JCU had a radio station, a TV station, SUPB (holla!), these are really big reasons for why I am here.

Tell us about the Welcome Back Concert featuring Josh Thompson.

I was very thrilled to plan something that’s such a new event on campus, and to then see it turn out so successful.  There was great attendance with 881 people on the ticket count, and we even eventually stopped officially counting.  I was very impressed with the numbers, and it was a great experience to see students loving something you brought to them.  I’m so happy to see students engaged with SUPB events, and for the Welcome Back Concert to become a major event on the calendar as something for students to look forward to each year.

What’s the next project?

Homecoming is next on my slate at the end of September, and I’m very excited.  It’s going to be one of the best Homecomings ever.  It’s at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, so the exhibits will be open, there will be lots of good food.  Right now I’m overwhelmed, but once things get nailed down, I know it will be a great night.  In addition to planning, I got to design the tickets as well.  It was very exciting and fun to get to do all the elements for this project.  To know that students will be holding something I designed is really cool!  You get joy from planning these events.  Also coming up is a Halloween Dance, so it’s very important for me to deliver the best experience for those who are excited for these events.  We have such a high success rate because we keep the students in mind.

What else are you involved in on campus?

Aside from my position as Major Events Coordinator in SUPB, I am an Arrupe Scholar, as well as a member of The Labre Project.  I’m a DJ for WJCU, the President of JCU TV4, a brother of Lambda Chi Alpha, and Diversions Editor for the Carroll News.  Since I’m usually involved in so many group activities, I really enjoy my Carroll News involvement because it offers the opportunity for solo creativity and provides an individual challenge.  I also work at the Rec Desk and recently started working at The Cubby, which is just fun work.  I love being able to create something.

And your music show on WJCU?

I’d like to call it an eclectic mix.  It could be two hours of club music or indie rock, it really just depends on my mood and what strikes me.  My favorite genre is ambient electronic, spacious music. I love getting lost in music, to just crank up the volume until you disappear as an individual and hear just sound.  I like to think I’m like a Pokémon with unlimited evolutions.  Like an Eevee that’s not only able to evolve into a Jolteon, but anything it wants.

And the YouTube Channel?

A lot of people ask me about HribCam because I have so much footage from my first two years of college and last year of high school.  I’m still not sure if I will be doing it this year.  I can’t make enough time for everything I want to do.  It’s all about prioritizing and realizing limitations, or else you will go insane.  And obviously, I already am insane.  But I will give you an exclusive scoop: I’m working on a sexy pop album.  I’ve explored lots with music, but never blatant sexiness, so I’m very excited.   I’m currently working on a song, “Sorry Momma, I Love A Republican” which will hopefully be a collaboration with my big.

What’s your favorite thing about JCU?

The opportunities.  I think I’m an example of someone who takes advantage of so many opportunities.  People need to explore.  Lots of people find their niche at John Carroll, and others just need to explore in order to find it.  Obviously, I found mine, I have a huge bio, but I think John Carroll’s very special in the opportunities it offers its students.

And most importantly, oatmeal raisin cookies: delicious treats or tricky sneaksters?

Oh, I think I prefer oatmeal raisin cookies.  You just gotta bring out that cinnamon and enrich the flavor.  But I guess it’s all about the cook.

Senior Criminology major at John Carroll University.  Lover of all things feline, musical, literary, and pomegrantes.  
Brittany, a Senior at JCU, has a passion for tea, books, writing, and London. As an English major, you can usually find her curled up with a good book somewhere on-campus (usually in O'Malley). She loves everything about Her Campus, and she finds it extremely exciting and rewarding to be a Campus Correspondent!