Lenten Alternatives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

As you may or may not know, Lent began on Wednesday, February 10th. In some faiths, like Catholicism, this means that we have approached the time of year where we abstain from meat on Fridays and give something up that we may enjoy for forty days. If you’re anything like me, giving something up during Lent is always a difficult process. It is not because I am selfish and want to indulge in everything life has to offer, it’s mostly because there is not one single thing I really enjoy. Yes, you read that correctly. I do not splurge on pop, candy, or ice cream like most people, so finding something to give up seemed pretty useless in my case.

It wasn’t until I grew older that I realized I needed to do something during the Lenten season that made my experience more unique, something that I could adapt to my lifestyle for the future. I came to the conclusion I needed to enhance my life, or others’ lives during the Lenten season, and hopefully that would carry on through the rest of my life (they do say it takes 21 days to form a habit, and Lent is 40 days). With all this being said, I am going to include Lenten tasks or sacrifices for those who think “giving something up” just doesn’t fit their lifestyle.

Stations of the Cross

Attending Stations of the Cross reminds us what the Lenten season is all about. During stations, there is typically one person who will stand and go through each of the twelve stations of the cross while you follow along either in prayer or song. This is a great way to enhance the Lenten season and something you can bring a friend along to (you do not have to be Catholic). Luckily for us here at JCU, stations will be held Friday, February 12th & 19th and March 11th at 4:45 in St. Francis Chapel. As well as,  March 18th in Rodman Chapel at 4:45.

Rice Bowls

Rice Bowls coincide with one of the disciplines of Lent that asks us, “to give alms.” Giving alms means that you will make sacrifices so others may benefit. An easy way to maintain the Rice Bowl, is by putting any loose change laying around in it. I have seen groups of friends challenge each other to see who can raise the most money, which can always be fun! You may wonder where your money will go to, and that varies depending on your location. Here at JCU, you can pick up a Rice Bowl in the Campus Ministry Office, where 75% of your money will go overseas and 25% stay in the Cleveland Diocese.

Donate canned goods

In the past, I have donated canned goods but came to the realization all I was doing was giving away food I did not like. Folks, that is not what you should be doing although it is very helpful. Stop at a store one day, and pick up a few of your FAVORITE non-perishable foods. If you don’t have the time or money to do that, JCU will be hosting Stop Hunger Now where you can sign up online, for a time of packing food, conversation and reflection. The date for this is February 19th from 7-9 and it is a good alternative if you are unable to donate your own canned goods.

Daily bible study

A daily bible study is not something most people would think of doing. However, it is an excellent way to read scripture and journal your thoughts. There are many apps you can put onto your phone that can assist in this daily Lenten devotion and it is something that can keep you easily on track throughout Lent.

Attend mass more than once a week

For many of us, attending Sunday liturgy is difficult. Often times people make excuses as to why they can’t go whether it be they are “tired” or “have other stuff to do.” But ask yourself, is one hour of devotion to God really asking too much of us? If you normally do not attend mass, I challenge you to go Sunday or Saturday. If you are feeling called to do more, go more than once a week. Although during the week mass does not count as your “Sunday obligation,” it’s still a great way to worship God while surrounded by your community and friends. Here at JCU, mass and daily mass has been made extremely accessible for us. Sunday masses at St. Francis Chapel are at 6pm and 9pm; better come early if you want a good seat! If by chance you feel you are being called to mass more than once a week, Mon. Wed. & Fri. at 12:05pm there is mass in St. Francis Chapel, Tues & Thurs Rodman Chapel holds mass at 5:05 pm, and Murphy Hall Chapel holds mass Wednesday at 9:30pm. With these flexible hours, it makes it nearly impossible not to fit in a service to your week.

Attend a retreat

I have attended many retreats, but none here at school. This is a goal of mine to complete during the Lenten season. If you have never completed a retreat, they are phenomenal to say the least. Being surrounded by youth that are there by choice, no matter what religious background they have, is always an uplifting experience. I don’t think I have ever left a retreat where I walked away feeling like I didn’t gain something from the experience. I always feel full of life and love, but the trick to that is making sure it is maintained. I often feel it is easy to leave a weekend retreat with so much love in your heart, but quickly that wears off. I like to call it “a retreat high.” I challenge you, if you decide to attend a retreat, to go with an open mind and leave with a fuller heart. Carry that love and excitement with you not only through the forty days of Lent, but throughout your life. The retreat that JCU offers this Lenten season includes the one day silent retreat at Rivers Edge on March 12.

Fast all day

Fasting and abstaining from meat is a Lenten tradition. Since I do not give something specific up for Lent, I do try to fast. The word “fast” may not be clear to people, but what that means is to eat simply and not eat between meals. For me, this can be a problem because I am someone who likes to snack, however, it is a good way to have discipline and a way for me to not overindulge during Lent.

Weekly confession

Confession. The one thing Catholics seem to hate most. It is a time to reflect on how we have sinned, and then to ask a priest to forgive the sins. No one likes to admit their faults, but truthfully it isn’t a scary thing to do at all. We have great priests here at JCU, they are not judgmental and they know it can be intimidating for people so they do the best they can to make it a comfortable environment. If you are not Catholic and wish to partake in the sacrament of Reconciliation, you may do so by simply asking for a blessing. A priest will never turn you away. Confession at JCU happens Wednesday 2:00 pm in Fr. Cozzens office (O’Malley Center 218) , Thursday 4:30pm in Rodman Chapel, and by appointment with Fr. Bernie or Fr. Stayer.