Is it too Early to Celebrate Christmas?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

The holiday season is in full swing. Thanksgiving is one week away and all over the country the giant Christmas trees that populate cities are making their way to their new stands. As smaller cities begin to decorate with lights, red bows, and wreaths the question arises, is it too early to celebrate Christmas?

It’s never too early to celebrate Christmas. It’s a time that increases people’s joy and a time for people to truly reflect on the year they just had. The most common argument I hear against celebrating Christmas early is that it is not even Thanksgiving yet. Since Thanksgiving and Christmas both fall within six weeks of each other, it makes sense for the houses and cities to be decorated before the actual Thanksgiving day. Think about the time it takes to put up lights, garland, and other decorations. That time would not be worth it if the decorations were only up from the day after Thanksgiving to the day after Christmas. No one would decorate if their hard work can only be shown off for four to six weeks.

Is it too early for Christmas Music? Absolutely not! Although Christmas music is not everyone’s favorite, I enjoy the sweet sounds of Michael Bublé coming through my car speakers as I drive to work in the morning. If I am the one listening to it, why does it bother you? I don’t like Post Malone, does that mean I can judge you for listening to him? Well, yes actually, but I don’t because everyone is entitled to their opinion.

What about the stores that already have Christmas up? Totally acceptable. There is nothing I love more than walking into a store that feels like it could be Santa’s workshop. If the little Santa’s and cute color schemes bother you, try shopping online. With the holiday season there are plenty of perks to going shopping, like exclusive sales, limited time items, and it’s great people watching.

It is never a bad thing to start celebrating Christmas a little early. If you put lights and decorations up the day after Halloween, good for you. If you never put decorations up, because it’s a hassle that’s okay too. Everyone has different traditions and different opinions on the matter. This holiday season, just remember to enjoy your holiday Starbucks drinks and keep your un-jolly opinions to yourself.

Mallory Fitzpatrick is a senior at John Carroll University, who loves reading, writing, and travel.