kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Inspirational Must-Reads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

The first week of classes just wrapped up. Almost everyone I know is still in Summer Mode. This is especially problematic for my fellow seniors who are in the midst of graduate/law/medical school applications, service year interviews, fellowship essays, standardized tests, “real job” applications, and basically anything else you can think of. I compiled a list of my favorite and top-ranked inspirational books to help us get into our #Girlboss mindsets.

1. “You are a Badass” by Jen Sincero

Besides the witty title that immediately catches your attention, this book has a ton of great information. If you struggle with laziness or senioritis, “Badass” will help motivate you through the semester. Jen Sincero is honest and funny which makes reading a “self-help” book all the better. 

2. “A Year of Positive Thinking” by Cyndie Spiegel

If you are a perpetually negative person, that’s cool. If you want to change your negative state, then I would definitely start with “A Year of Positive Thinking.” The title is a dead giveaway on the content of the book. Cyndie Spiegel takes the concept of a mindset shift and breaks it up. You don’t have to do everything in one day and Spiegal lays out the plan for you. 

3. “Eat Pray Love Made Me Do It” with an introduction by Elizabeth Gilbert and essays by various authors

I’m such a sucker for Gilbert’s OG “Eat, Pray, Love.” It’s actually borderline concerning. I can mostly attribute my decision to study abroad in Rome to 1) “Eat, Pray, Love” and 2) “The Lizzie McGuire Movie.” This collection of essays were curated by Elizabeth Gilbert after readers flooded her inbox about how EPL changed their lives. Gilbert, being the genius that she is, decided to compile and publish these essays. The chapters/essays are short and easy to get through if you don’t have a lot of time on your hands. 

4. “Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman” by Gail Evans

“Play Like a Man, Win like a Woman” is basically the holy grail of #Girlboss literature. Being a woman in business (or any field for that matter) is extremely difficult, and Gail Evans knows that. She wrote this book based off of her own experiences and research. It is definitely worth reading if you are going into a “cut-throat” career @ Boler School Babes.

5. “It’s Kind of a Funny Story” by Ned Vizzini

Okay, this one may not fall under the “traditional” self-help/inspiration category, but it is inspirational nonetheless. Ned Vizzini chronicles the feelings and experiences of a teenager who gets institutionalized. It is sad and funny (the best combination). The language is super easy to read and I guarantee you’ll fall in love with the book and speed through it. For those of you who are not big readers @ Dolan Babes, there is a movie with Zach Galifianakis, Keir Gilchrist, and Emma Roberts. It’s almost as good as the book, but can be good as a last-minute motivator. 

Here’s to a great start of the 2019-2020 school year!