This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

On Jan. 23, The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced its nominations for the 90th Annual Academy Awards.  If you haven’t looked at the full list yet, it is here:

Some initial thoughts that I had on the nominations:

-Shape of Water got the most nominations (13), then Dunkirk (8), then 3 Billboards (7)

-Armie Hammer didn’t get nominated for Best Supporting Actor, Tom Hanks didn’t get nominated for Best Supporting Actor, Harry Styles didn’t get nominated for Best Supporting Actor, Sebastian Stan didn’t get nominated for Best Supporting Actor, but Sam Rockwell did???? For playing a racist cop?? Please.

-Boss Baby got nominated for Best Animated Feature Film: WHAT?? LEGO Batman should have at least been nominated. It’s fine though because Coco is going to win and Coco was beautiful.

-The Post looks boring.

-Darkest Hour also looks boring. Winston Churchill was a serious jerk.

-The Big Sick was nominated for Best Screenplay, which it probably won’t win, but that is still exciting because The Big Sick was GREAT.

-Holly Hunter should’ve been nominated for Supporting Actress in The Big Sick, cmon.

-Also, all of the Supporting Actress nominees played moms, so what’s going on there.

-Get Out got nominated for a lot of things which is SO EXCITING.

-The visual effects category is just a pool of testosterone. What other category would include Kong: Skull Island?  

-Will Daniel-Day Lewis win his last Oscar? Who knows?

-Since when do Netflix movies get nominated for things?? @Mudbound

-So, of the Best Picture Nominees, so far I’ve only seen Dunkirk, Get Out, and Call Me By Your Name.

-CALL ME BY YOUR NAME IS SO GOOD OKAY IT IS SO SO SO SO SO GOOD.  DESERVES EVERY AWARD EVER.

-All right, so Shape of Water got nominated a ton but I just cannot stomach a woman having sex with the Loch Ness Monster, okay? I would never recover.

-“This is Me” from The Greatest Showman better not win Best Song again (it won the Golden Globe). It’s gotta be “Remember Me” from Coco so help me Lord.

-LOU FOR BEST ANIMATED SHORT. I DID NOT WATCH ANY OF THE OTHER ONES BUT LOU IS SO CUTE I CRIED.

D I V E R S I T Y summary:

-There’s been lots of buzz saying that this year’s Oscars are “more diverse than ever,” and, I mean, yeah there’s diversity, but we’ve still got a long way to go.

-Lead Actor: Daniel Kaluuya from Get Out and Denzel Washington from Roman J. Israel, Esq. are both black.

-But we’ve got all white women for lead actress.

-And all white men for supporting actor–not just white men, but like the WHITEST of white men. Not a drop of melanin in there.

-For supporting actress, Mary J Blige from Mudbound and Octavia Spencer from Shape of Water are both black.

-Director: Greta Gerwig for Lady Bird is the 5th ever woman nominated for Best Director, and  Jordan Peele for Get Out is the 5th ever black person nominated for Best Director.

-Best Picture: Get Out is about racism, Call Me By Your Name is about being gay, and Lady Bird, 3 Billboards, The Post, and Shape of Water all have a female lead. Why do none of these overlap? Great question.

-Darkest Hour and Dunkirk have the least diversity just in general, omg zero diversity there.

-For Animated Feature: Bread Winner is set in Afghanistan, and Coco is set in Mexico.

If you feel like you need some more information, don’t worry. I will be seeing all of the Best Picture nominees before the Oscars (March 4) and I will be doing an evaluation of those 9 movies for you. Stay tuned!

Grace is a JCU senior, double majoring in Theology & Religious Studies and Political Science. She loves social justice, Disney, and joking about absolutely everything. Her specialty is ranking movies.
JCU Campus Correspondent