How to Jumpstart Your Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

What are your doing this summer? Relaxing from any form of school work? Hiding from any and all responsibilities in bed? Why not go on an adventure or tackle that internship you’ve been meaning to check off your list? Here are some ways you can jumpstart your summer into fun and productivity instead of laziness and boredom:

1. As soon as finals are over, it is so difficult not to take your stuff home and pass out on your all-too-comfortable bed that you’ve missed for about two weeks. Instead, take your dorm decorations and clothes home and completely gut your room at home and get rid of all of the stuff you haven’t touched in a year or two. This is actually my plan when I get home because, after moving back and forth from home to school, I’ve accumulated so many things that don’t quite make it on my “I Really Need This” list. Once your room is all cleaned out and organized, you’ll feel ready to tackle any summer plans and adventures that the season has to offer!

2. Make a summer bucket list of all the things you want to accomplish before you go back to school, including both fun and not-so-fun things! You could use some old craft supplies you have lying around and make a list to hang on your door so you have options each morning of what you’re going to do. Write down all the exciting and new places you plan to visit and write down the books you kept telling yourself you would read this summer. Maybe even include the homework you could get a head start on for next semester! To ensure that this Bucket List plan works, be sure to write (at the very bottom) what Netflix series you want to conquer before August because let’s be real, summer is a time for relaxation, right?

3. You’re in college and you’re probably broke! Get a job that doesn’t seem too daunting but will also have you using valuable skills for you to perfect for your resume. For example, I am simply working at the local Fro-Yo place near my house for the second summer in a row and I am all too excited. It is a fun environment while I make some extra cash to pay for my rent! Another job you could take on is mowing lawns for family members, friends, and neighbors! This will give you an excuse to go visit your grandpa and grandma while proving to your relatives that you aren’t just a bum mooching off your parents during your college years! Are you good at swimming? You could also pick up a job position at your local pool! This is the perfect opportunity to make money, catch some rays, and even hang out with some of your old friends. The posibilities are truly endless.

4. Even though its pretty much already bikini season, it doesn’t mean you have to give up completely on getting those Carrie Underwood legs before you go back to school. Get a gym membership and set some goals you want to reach during your time off. You can even find a gym buddy which makes the task a little less exhausting. I did this last summer and plan to do the same this year and I couldn’t be more excited to see what I am capable of accomplishing. When August comes back around, you’ll be happy you did all that hard work as those skinny jeans slip on a little easier than they did last Fall. 

Overall, there are so many options to make your summer productive and fun all at the same time. Take advanatage of the time you have off from school to actually choose exactly hwo you want to spend your time. In the end, it is up to you how you spend these summer months so make them count so when September is here, you can look at that bucket list or in the mirror and be thankful you didn’t take the lazy way out this summer!