How “Gossip Girl” Changed the Teen TV Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Almost 15 years after its premiere, “Gossip Girl’s” emphasis on technology and social media is still relatable to audiences today. Internet virality is now extremely prominent, mainly due to the rise of technology and social media among high school and college age students. “Gossip Girl” was one of the first shows to accurately showcase the average teenager’s digital lifestyle — an idea that had never really been explored before. Their investigation of this topic sets it apart from other programs of its time.

In line with its focus on technology and the internet, “Gossip Girl” relays how personal lives, especially those of teenagers, can never truly be private. Serena and Blair are never able to avoid their digital stalker, as every move they made is documented on a blog or some type of social media platform. While GG premiered over 10 years ago, these same issues continue to plague modern teens today. The show’s creators, Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, really knew what they were talking about.

I’m no Serena Van der Woodsen, but I definitely sympathize with her highly publicized lifestyle. While on a much smaller scale, even I, an average college student, feel the effects of constant scrutinization on social media, and that doesn’t even begin to describe what public figures experience today.

Nowadays, celebrities are constantly criticized due to their social media use, as their Twitter and Instagram accounts are constantly under fire. Not to mention, their posts and leaked images are prone to internet virality, which is almost inescapable. It seems as though each celebrity with a social media following has a gossip girl of their own.

When it first premiered in 2007, “Gossip Girl” was avidly aware of millennial interests and trends. Its inclusion of digital stalkers, up-and-coming technology and social media gave it a competitive edge against other teen shows of the 2000s – so much so that teen programs will continue to replicate its storylines and scenarios for years to come.

JCU Campus Correspondent