Her Opinion: Why You Should Study Abroad in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

After high school, college brings many changes into our lives. Because of this, freshmen probably wonder why you would want to introduce another seemingly crazy and risky change by studying abroad in a country thousands of miles from your home, friends, and college. But something you don’t realize as a freshman is that your college years truly are the fastest four years of your life so far. It’s also a strange time between high school and your entry into the real world where you have the unparalleled ability to take chances that you may never be able to take again. And that’s what you have to remember.

Let’s put something into perspective: only 6.7% of the world’s population holds a college degree. We often forget just how lucky we are to even be in college, and that’s why we should take advantage of all of the fulfilling experiences our college education has to offer us (and no, I am not talking about that ‘really cool’ party on Friday night). From service opportunities to immersion trips to internships to studying in different countries across the world, college has a multitude of opportunities that are just waiting to be experienced. Studying abroad is a unique student experience that generally cannot be replicated after you finish school. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity (or if you’re like me and couldn’t get enough the first time, twice in a lifetime).

I’m sure you’ve heard the spiel before that study abroad changes your life, but let it be known that this is undoubtedly true. However, it is the distinct way it changes your life that sets it apart. Not only do you become more culturally aware, less reliant on your cell phone, and become infected with a travel bug that will never go away, you gain a sort of independence that cannot be attained otherwise.

No matter what happens (i.e. your eardrum randomly ruptures at 4am, and you are supposed to get on a plane to Italy the next day, or you and your friends miss the bus back to your hotel in Amsterdam and you have to wait for 40 minutes for the next bus with a 60-year-old Bulgarian woman named Elka), you’ve only got your intuition and limited resources to make it work. Sure, you can call your parents over that unreliable Wi-Fi, but you can bet they aren’t going to be getting on the next plane to London to hold your hand when something goes wrong. You will learn to rely on yourself (and some amazing friends) to make it through, which is one of the most important lessons you can learn before entering the dreaded real world.

Not to mention, that’s also when some of the true magic happens. When you are abroad and have these difficult, fantastic, and sometimes weird shared experiences with your new friends, you are bonded in a way that can’t be matched. In your study abroad city or country, you truly only have each other. You’ll make memories of adventure and hilarity that can’t be replaced or forgotten, and I know many of the friendships I made abroad will last for life. (You also have a built-in group of people to reminisce with so your stories of your amazing adventures abroad don’t make your other friends at home jealous.)

If there is any advice I can give to those just starting college, it would be to study abroad. No matter your reservations or fears, just go for it! There are so many study abroad options available, and you can pick the country or city that works best for your major, finances, or language studies. I dreamt of visiting London since my childhood, and studying abroad gave me a chance to live there for nearly a year; living my dream. It was truly the best decision I have ever made, for both my college years and my future (hint: employers love to ask you about study abroad during interviews).

But don’t get me wrong, I was terrified to leave and second-guessed myself all the way to the airport. Just don’t give into those second guesses. Your years after college are murky territory, and chances are, you won’t be able to travel due to your potential job or the burden of college loans. Take a chance on study abroad, because there’s no better time to see the world. 

Brittany, a Senior at JCU, has a passion for tea, books, writing, and London. As an English major, you can usually find her curled up with a good book somewhere on-campus (usually in O'Malley). She loves everything about Her Campus, and she finds it extremely exciting and rewarding to be a Campus Correspondent!