etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Her Opinion: I Do Not Want to Get Married or Have Children

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

As I’m beginning this article, I should note that I am starting to see the benefit(s) of a binding marriage. It should really be illegal for guys to say the things they say and then disappear. In a marriage, you can’t really get ghosted (I think). Unfortunately, I have thought about this for so long that I’m set in my views. I have tried to explain my reasoning to my friends and family, but at this point, it’s easier for me to put it in writing. 

Because I’m a female, from a very young age we think about boys, marriage, and having kids. Like most very young girls, I always said I never wanted to get married or have kids. My mom would always brush it off and say that one day I would.  Some important background information: my parents are still together, I was in a five-year relationship up until this year, and I am currently single but prefer being in a relationship. 

Why I don’t want to get married:

1. I don’t like being the center of attention.

2. I believe, if you really love someone, you shouldn’t need a ring and a contract.

3. Anything beyond a small wedding is a waste of money.

Why I don’t want to have kids:

1. I get annoyed easily.

2. Postpartum depression scares me to death.

3. I don’t value my DNA nearly enough to put more of it into the world.

4. I wouldn’t want to bring a child into the world we have now.

5. I believe that giving birth to your own child instead of giving a home to a child in need (i.e. foster care) is selfish.

I am a Senior Accountancy major at John Carroll University. I spent Fall 2017 studying abroad in Italy, inspiring me to also pursue a major in Italian Studies. I plan to pursue my Masters of Accountancy after graduating in December 2019.