This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Rachel Mills

This year is going to be a little different for my family.  In the past we usually go up to Michigan because that is where my mom is from.  On Easter, we would go to mass early in the morning and look for Easter eggs with my little cousins there. We would come home to find that the Easter bunny came and hid eggs and candy around the house.  We would find all of those and have a nice relaxing day with family.  For dinner we would have a big meal at my grandparent’s house.  But this year, we are taking a trip to Tampa, Florida.  Since we won’t be taking our normal trip, I don’t know what to expect.  Some of my dad’s family will be in Tampa at the same time, by pure coincidence.  My family is going to try something new and have some family bonding time.  We will see how that goes.  Overall, Easter is a time to celebrate the Lord and spend quality time with family.  No matter what you do or where you go don’t forget that.

Mallory Fitzpatrick

Easter isn’t exactly the same for my family every year, but we try to keep a couple things consistent. It isn’t always in the same place because we travel during Spring Break a lot. So I’ve spent Easter everywhere from Florida to Cleveland to Mexico besides at home in Chicago. Still, regardless of where we’re staying, my parents always manage to get our Easter baskets there. I think both my sisters and I came to terms with the reality (or rather lack thereof) of the Easter Bunny, but finding jelly beans and chocolate in our baskets is always exciting anyway. It’s always a race to see who can find their basket first—the bunny hides them all over the house (or hotel).

If we are at home, we get to participate in an Easter egg hunt too. My grandparents live almost directly behind us, and every year either on Easter, or sometimes the week before if it’s more convenient, my grandma hides eggs all around her house and yard (weather permitting) and has all the grandkids come search. I admit, I’m getting a little old for this one. But I still have a great time helping my cousins find eggs, and finding my own basket. My grandmother always has a basket for each of the grandkids hidden in her house, and hunting for the baskets is always a chaotic, confusing venture. Everyone seems to know exactly where everyone else’s basket it, but finding our own is a bit more difficult.

Wherever we end up spending Easter, my parents and sisters and I always make it to Mass in the morning and return to hunt for our Easter baskets. It’s always been a great holiday, whether our Easter dinner is lamb in Chicago or tacos in Playa del Carmen!

Gena Nigro

Easter is a time for reverence and reflection. It is a time for us to thank Jesus for dying for our sins. Not only is it a holy time, but it’s a happy time. It’s a day of celebration. This is what Easter is supposed to be, but in reality, that’s not always what it is. Easter with a Sicilian family is very different, especially when it’s Easter with my Sicilian family. First of all, it isn’t really Easter unless there’s enough food to feed the United States Army, even though there’s only about forty of us. Pasta, salads, pasta salads, chicken, beef, veggies, potatoes, cake, pie, ice-cream, and every type of cookie (Italian and other) will be on the counter waiting for us to gorge ourselves. Before we eat, the youngest cousin is responsible for saying a prayer. Some older cousin will cut them off, and talk about how blessed we are to have each other and ask God to watch over the relatives who could not join us for our celebration. My great aunt will cry, and every woman will rush to her side to comfort her. My loudest cousin will proclaim that it’s time to eat, and everyone will fight for a good spot in line, and the little ones will weave in and out of the line to grab what the food they want. There will be six different tables, because there’s never enough room for all of us at one. Everyone will be yelling at each other, sometimes in Sicilian, and they will be engaged in multiple conversations at once. Every relative over the age of 40 will ask me how school is going, how I like being in a sorority, and they will interrogate me on my nonexistent love life.  I’ll tell them I’m not seeing one, they won’t believe me, and then a male relative will say something along the lines of “Good, you’re not allowed to date until you’re married.” There may or may not be an Easter egg hunt, which, no doubt, will end with someone crying because their big sister found all the eggs before them. Nona will give them an Easter basket full of toys and candy (all of which will be either eaten or broken by the end of the night) to make the screaming and crying stop. There, of course, will be drama. But what family doesn’t have drama? The night will end with a card game, some laughs, and big hugs and kisses goodbye. For me Easter is more than a religious celebration. Easter is a time for me to be with the crazy people that I call family. Yes, I said crazy, but that just makes me love them even more.

Mallory Fitzpatrick is a senior at John Carroll University, who loves reading, writing, and travel.