From The Girl Who Finally Knows She is Enough

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

From me to you,

I was in your shoes once, actually not long ago at all. In fact, I often find myself like Cinderella wondering if that shoe is going to fit back on my foot.

Heres the thing: Time and time again Ive been told to changechange my clothes, change my hair, change my makeup, change my body, change my morals, change my entire lifestylejust to fit someones image of who I should be. And time and time again I listened without hesitation and tried everything I could to fit their descriptions. Then I reached a point where I felt that the life I was living wasnt even my own anymore. I know how you’re feeling because I went through it myself. I went through days where I tried to find the cure in my moms words over the phone. Other days I would go to church hoping God would give me immediate reassurance that I was in the right place being the person I was meant to be. To this day Im still waiting on that reassurance, but I havent given up and neither should you.

Often, after a few bad days (usually after blaring One Direction through my speakerstry it, it really works), I come out of my turtle shell of a room and try using my voice with my friends. Those small attempts are frequently overlooked, but I still try, for all the few times that I am truly heard and considered.

The people around me wonder if Im upset more often than not because I dont talk all that much. I listen. It’s okay to be a listener. In fact, most of the people closest to me appreciate my ability to simply listen. I enjoy it, taking in and observing everything happening around me. What is wrong with this, though? The fact that I know I wasnt born to be a listenerand neither were you.

After several adolescent years of being told that my voice is wrong, I am finally confident in knowing that isnt true. Heck, Ive even been told that my career path is pointless because Im neither smart or strong enough to succeed. To every one of the people who have told me that, thank you because my head is now held even higher.

So this is me, after all my struggles, telling you that the people who try to change you are not the people you need in your life.With every statement said that is trying to tear you down, force it to make you stronger. Never lose your voice because, trust me, it’s more difficult to find it again. One of the very influential women in my life once told me Never let someone steal your happinessand now Im relaying that message to you.

You are enough, I am enough, so now what? Go conquer your favorite part of the world because we both know you can.