Emily Tusick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Last week in the Atrium, senior Emily Tusick asked a few of us HC girls to sign an Oxfam petition, and we signed away! We couldn’t resist highlighting a wonderful person for a wonderful cause! Read all about Emily and Oxfam below: 

HC: What is Oxfam? 

Emily: Oxfam America is a global organization working to right the wrongs of poverty, hunger, and injustice.  As one of 17 members of the international Oxfam confederation, we work with people in more than 90 countries to create lasting solutions.  It’s about recognizing that people are powerful and that poverty is solvable.

HC: How does it benefit the JCU community and beyond? 

Emily: I think that Oxfam America benefits the JCU community and beyond by empowering individuals to affect change.  We realize that a lot more positive change can occur if we look at issues of poverty from a systematic perspective, to ensure that our solutions are addressing the roots of the problem.  For example, when addressing large corporations to treat their workers fairly or to use their land more sustainably, our mission is to encourage consumers to speak out about the changes they wish to see.  Corporations do care what consumers say and think about their products and Oxfam America has proven that they will listen.   

HC: How are you personally involved with Oxfam? 

Emily: I was accepted to participate in Oxfam America’s CHANGE Initiative this past summer, which was a week-long training that took place in Boston.  Myself and forty-nine other college students from across the U.S. came together to learn about the organization and were tasked with implementing or continuing to foster an already existing club on our college campuses.  It was one of the most energizing experiences to be surrounded by so many bright and passion-filled individuals that were interested in changing the way in which we think and address issues of poverty.

HC: What can someone do on campus to get more involved with Oxfam at JCU?

Emily: Join the committee!  The next Students for Social Justice (SSJ) meeting will take place on Tuesday, February 16th at 8:00 PM in the Jardine Room.  Bring your ideas, passions, and good humor, as we will be discussing our plans for the spring semester.  If you would like to take immediate action, sign our most recent petition online advocating for the rights of poultry workers.  Check out the campaign’s awesome, interactive website called Lives on the Line: The Human Cost of Chicken, to learn more! https://www.oxfamamerica.org/livesontheline/.

HC: Anything else you want to add?

Emily: Do you enjoy listening to Ra Ra Riot?  The Oxfam Committee at JCU will be tabling at their concert in Cleveland this April!  Music Outreach is a huge part of what we do here at Oxfam, which enables us to have special partnerships with over 100 bands including Coldplay, Radiohead, and so many more that believe in the Oxfam mission.  We are in turn invited to table at their concerts, petitioning for certain campaigns and to get the word out about Oxfam.  Bob Ferguson, Oxfam America’s Creative Alliances and Music Outreach Project Manager spends his entire summer putting together teams of Oxfam volunteers to go to music festivals.  This past summer I had the amazing opportunity to be a part of one of these teams at Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival.  Good music and social justice just go together, you know?  Additionally, Lake Street Dive just signed on and we are hoping to be able to table at their concert in March.