This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Ok ladies, so we all know college is CRAZY busy..I’m talking balancing assignments, all-nighters, girls nights, the occasional (or frequent) cry-sesh, the gym, clubs, work… you get the point. Sometimes the thought of making time for a relationship (especially with someone who doesn’t even have a developed frontal lobe yet so how can they POSSIBLY understand you) might seem crazy. If you DO stumble upon a human on campus who doesn’t totally smell like stale Axe body spray and can hold a meaningful conversation… how do you possibly fit them into your already-crazy schedule? I recently entered my first college relationship, so I understand how stressful this is. Here are some ways that I work my significant other into my schedule:

Set aside days for The Girls and days for your S.O

It can be hard to balance a relationship with friends! So pick out days that are #girlsonly and stick with it. This will help keep your relationship with your girlfriends’ strong while also keeping time for your boo. 

From Giphy

Have study dates

NEVER let a love interest take away from your studies, ladies. Trust me, it’s not worth it. To make sure that you are balanced, go to a coffee shop or the library with your significant other. It’s a great way to get things done while also spending time together.

From Giphy

Make a list of fun, cheap dates

Everyone is broke in college. Weekly date nights to fancy restaurants might be a no go. But no fear! Come up with fun things to do that aren’t expensive! Go explore the city and window shop, go on late night drives and blast music, have movie nights and make popcorn and cocoa. There is so much you can do that won’t cost a cent. Peep our article “Date Ideas in Cleveland” for more ideas. 

From Giphy

Learn to say no

This last tip might sound weird, but it’s true. Getting into a new relationship can be exciting, and wanting to spend every hour with your significant other is normal, especially if you live on the same campus. If your schedule starts to overwhelm him, it’s OK to say you are busy and can’t hangout. If they are really into you, they’ll be ok with it. Remember ladies, you are a bo$$ a** b**** and ALWAYS put yourself and your mental health first. 

From Giphy