Creative Caf Concoctions: Vegetarian Addition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

If you’re like me, then you have a complicated love-hate relationship with the on-campus caf. As in, I love to hate it. If you’re a vegetarian, eating in the caf can be especially difficult with the limited meat-free options. Don’t let cardboard cut-out pizza and soggy chicken get you down (although, in hindsight, those things probably SHOULD get you down…) Next time you hit up our Schott Dinning Hall, embrace your inner Julia Child or Bobby Flay, and try one of our ideas below, or else you might end up in your very own Hell’s Kitchen.

Breakfast Bagel

Grab a bagel from the toast station, and load it up with all sorts of brunch time goodies like eggs, and hash browns. Then head to the salad bar or sandwich station, and you can add your favorite veggies or cheese. If you do eat meat, you can grab bacon or sausage to put on too. Then head to the panini toaster and pop your creation in for a few minutes and voila! They should sign you up for Chopped.

Fruit and Yogurt

This one’s super easy for those so-lazy-but-still-feel-the-drive-to-eat-something-other-than-carbs (do we all get those?) days! Just grab a bowl and load it up with fruit and yogurt from the fruit section of the salad bar. If you want a bit of crunch or a more filling meal, you can even add granola. This is also a great alternative to ice cream or brownies for when you’re craving a guilt-free sweet treat.

Toast and Tomato

Get a couple slices of tomato from the salad bar, and dice them up into smaller, bite-sized bits, then head over to the pizza station and season your tomatoes with garlic and SOMETHING. After you toast a couple of slices of your favorite bread, add some butter and top with the tomatoes. It is so good, and all your cardboard cut-out pizza eating friends will be so jealous!

Create-Your-Own Wrap

This one is my go-to for most of the meals I eat in the caf! Grab a wrap (or bread if you prefer), and add cheese and veggies from the sandwich station. Head over to the salad bar and pick out all of your favorite veggies. You can leave it as is, or heat it up in the panini machine. You can also adapt this during brunch time and make a breakfast burrito. BONUS: add rice and beans and you can make your own Chipotle!

I hope you enjoy all of our ideas for beating the caf time blues! Try one of our ideas or make up your own!

Sophomore. Blue Streak. English Writing Major. Kappa Delta. When I'm lonely I set my phone's alarm to go off every fifteen minutes and pretend like people are texting me. Welcome to my exciting life.