This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is a “holiday” dreaded by singles worldwide. For those who are not in a relationship, Valentine’s Day is paralleled with loneliness and self-pity. I feel like as college students, we tend to prioritize school work and our social lives above romantic relationships. Despite the fact that long-term monogamous relationships are rare in college, it doesn’t mean that Valentine’s loneliness/self-pity is absent. Instead of feeling less than your Best Self this Valentine’s Day, check out our article on intimacy and read about non-romantic celebrations below.

Get Your Sloth On (Zero Effort)

To sloth or not to sloth? Having a lazy Girls’ Night In may be the best and most common way to celebrate Galentine’s Day. Although my best friend lovingly pointed out that I “sloth” every day, there are ways to make Galentine’s extra special. Watching Netflix, lighting candles, and getting a late-night snack from the ‘Tween would be my ideal night. The main thing to focus on is your intentions and mindfulness, or else it is just a regular weeknight. Complimenting your friend, having a deep conversation or reminiscing are ways to enhance your frienship.

Person holding Mug
Photo by Maierean Andrei from Pexels

Get Crafty (Minimal Effort)

Taking a night to recuperate from a rough week (or semester) is essential for any college student. That being said, Galentine’s Day makes for a perfect excuse to unwind with crafts in the name of celebration. If you and your friend group are looking for something that’s a step above rotting on your futon, this is the best option. Plan on creating vision boards while doing face masks. To make things jazzier, try different infused water (i.e. cucumber mint) or make a dedicated playlist.

craft table
Vladimir Proskurovskiy

Get Stylin’ (Average Effort)

Thrift store shopping is a cure to any (and every) mental ailment. Looking through vintage clothing and jewelry is probably the time when I’m most at peace. There is something special about the stories behind certain items. Last week I found a framed wedding picture and wondered if the couple was still together. Going to re-sale shops is more interesting and cheaper than regular stores. However, if you love mall shopping then more power to you. Thrifting with an iced coffee and your best friend is a great way to celebrate your Galentine’s Day. 

The image is a rack of clothing
Via JamesDemers on Pixabay

Get Sophisticated (Max Effort)

Perhaps you feel like doing something that takes up more time and effort (maybe you just drank a free Redbull from the Wing’s Team). Taking a trip down to University Circle is probably your best bet. While I would prefer going to the Art Museum (it’s nationally ranked and free), there is also the Natural History Museum, Modern Art Museum, and other interesting spots to check out. Pro tip: avoid Little Italy/Murray Hill unless you want to spend hours waiting for a table. 

Brush Painting Color Paint
Daian Gan / Pexels