Campus Celebrity: Zak Zippert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Photo Credit: Facebook

Most freshman do not listen to the advice to get involved their first few years. Zak Zippert was not one of those people. As a sophomore, he is involved in seven activities on campus and holds a leadership position in five of those activities. It is no surprise that Zippert received the nickname “Mr. JCU” his freshman year. Even though Zippert has only been on campus for two years, he shows what it means to be involved on campus. Whether he is on the stage, the court, or helping lead an event in the atrium, he puts his whole heart into everything he does. Zippert truly embodies what it means to get involved and how to have a big presence on campus in your early years of college.

Hometown: University Heights, Ohio

High school: Benedictine High School

Year at JCU: Sophomore

Major: Psychology & Theater Minor

What organizations are you involved in on campus?

Men’s Club Volleyball, Little Theater Society, Environmental Issues Group, African American Alliance, Allies, French Club, and R.I.C.E.

What leadership positions do you hold in them?

President of Little Theater Society, Vice President of French Club, Secretary of Men’s Volleyball, Chief Bike Mechanic of Environmental Issues Group, and Public Relations of R.I.C.E.

What JCU productions have you been in?

I’ve acted in Legally Blonde: The Musical, and done lights for the One Acts and The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940. I also built the sets for The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940 and Blink.

What is your favorite thing about theater?

Making people laugh.

How do you balance of all the organizations you are in with your school work and social life?

I’m a huge procrastinator (lol), but in all seriousness, if you truly love something, like I do my clubs and my friends, you can always find time.

Word on the street is that some people call you “Mr. JCU.” How did you get that nickname?

One of my best bros here at JCU, Christian Brandetsas, called me that as a joke last year because I was in so many clubs (even more than this year). Also it’s because I love JCU. There’s never a day when I’m not rocking JCU gear, whether it be a shirt, hat, jacket, shorts, or even socks.

What advice would you give to incoming freshman about getting involved on campus?

Totally get involved! Sign up for stuff you liked in high school, but also sign up for stuff you’ve never done before. I signed up for pretty much every other club my freshman year, and as the year goes on you find out what clubs really fit you. And don’t be nervous about trying new things. I never played volleyball before, but I signed up for Men’s Volleyball and now it’s my favorite club at JCU.

Hello there! I am a sophomore at John Carroll University. I am majoring in Sociology with a double minor in Engish and Peace, Justice, and Human Rights so I stay pretty busy. I someday hope to go into Social Work and then go on to help end the stigma associated with mental health. I am a proud Kappa Delta and will often be sporting my letters. You will either find me singing songs from Frozen on the KD floor, in the library, or grabbing a quick decaf coffee before class.
Allison Gall is a senior English major at John Carroll University. She is also a member of Kappa Delta Sorority. While not doing school work, Allison is involved in several other activities, including working with her church and taking Taekwondo. Allison also loves to read and write, sing, play violin, swim, and run. She is also interested in fashion, and she is known among her friends as the go-to person for hair and makeup help.