Campus Celebrity: Veronica Zielinski

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Veronica Zielinski, a junior here at Carroll, is one of the stars of the Kulas mainstage production of Six Characters in Search of an Author. We had the pleasure of talking with her about the show and her past theater experience at Carroll. Read on to find more about Veronica and theater at Carroll! 

HC: What are some other shows you’ve done with John Carroll theater?

I began in the One Acts my first semester here and then moved to the mainstage production for the role of Amanda Wingfield in “The Glass Menagerie.” Since then, I’ve had the opportunity to work on shows ranging from modern comedy like “The Odd Couple” to a family drama set in 1930s Ireland (“Dancing at Lughnasa”) to this show, which is a dark Italian meta drama. I love that the experiences I’ve had in theatre here are so diverse.

HC: How do you manage rehearsal, social, and academic schedules?

Lots of coffee! While it is very difficult to balance everything I’ve got going on, theatre is something I love with all my heart, so I always make time for it. I’d give up a little free time for the spotlight any day! This is what I’m passionate about, and oftentimes the time I spend on the show, whether learning lines, formally rehearsing, or bonding with the cast, is the best part of my day.

HC: Can you tell us a little bit of what the show is about?

It’s definitely an eccentric and engaging show–I’ve never performed or watched anything like it. It begins with a cast of characters crashing into a rehearsal in which they don’t belong, and eventually they convince the director to watch their drama. From this unfolds the dark tragedy of a widowed mother left alone, her voiceless children soon to meet their demise, and the sexual transgressions of a father with…his stepdaughter. A very chilling and yet captivating look at the characters that compose a drama and their limits and freedoms on the stage.

HC: What is your favorite part or scene of the show?

I like when the whole family of characters is gathered together onstage. The little girl and boy are adorable–it’s hard to keep from hugging them during rehearsals. Myself, I very much enjoy performing the conclusion of the show, which will definitely leave you guessing–something I love to do with college audiences!

HC: Would you recommend other students to audition for future John Carroll shows?

Theatre at John Carroll has been the highlight of my time here. It’s a great way to get to know tons of awesome people and to form a bond with them through the art you create together. Anyone is welcome to audition for any show and I would wholeheartedly recommend it–the theatre family is a great one to belong to. 

Six Characters in Search of an Author opens this Friday, November 6, and runs through Sunday, November 15. Friday and Saturday shows are at 7:30pm, and the Sunday show is 2:00pm.

See Veronica and the rest of the cast in action before it’s too late, and support the arts at Carroll!