Campus Celebrity: Rachael Chahoud

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Rachael Chahoud is a sophomore Blue Streak who brought a chapter of Active Minds to John Carroll. Chahoud hopes to promote mental health and make our campus fun and safe for everyone.

HC: What is the name of your club and what is it about?

Chahoud: The name of my club is Active Minds. It works to end the stigma toward mental illness. By mental illness, I don’t just mean depression. It goes from autism to down syndrome to schizophrenia. 

HC: What is your inspiration behind Active Minds?

Chahoud: When I was thirteen, I was diagnosed with depression. Ever since then, it’s been a really rough road. Instead of making it worse for myself, I just want to make the world a better place. I just want to help others so they don’t go through what I’m going through. 

HC: What kinds of things will Active Minds do?

Chahoud: We’re hoping to have a cookout soon to bring people together. We want to have a dance that raises money and brings people together. We would also like to have some benefits and fundraisers. 

HC: Have people shown interest in Active Minds?

Chahoud: Yes, we have about 50 members. 

HC: How have you spread the word about your club?

Chahoud: In July, I posted it on Facebook and lots of people started responding to me. People kept coming up to me and calling their friends.

HC: How is the registration process going?

Chahoud: We’re all done. Everything’s finished. 

HC: Have you planned the first meeting yet?

Chahoud: Yes, it should be in about 2 weeks.

HC: Are there membership fees?

Chahoud: No, there are no membership fees. Anyone can join.

HC: How will Active Minds impact John Carroll’s campus?

Chahoud: Hopefully, it will make John Carroll a better place to be. Instead of people going home on the weekends, I want them to stay here and have fun and get to know each other. We’re going to be here for the next four years of our lives, so we might as well enjoy it and have fun.