Campus Celebrity: Duncan Peters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

In honor of the combined a cappella concert next week, HC has decided to spotlight each group in preparation for the show! This week’s Campus Celebrity is Duncan Peters, president of Streaks in Key, JCU’s best co-ed a cappella group!

Hometown: I was born in Panama City, Florida but raised in Cleveland, Ohio.

Year: Sophomore

Major: Psychology; in the Mental Health Services track

What is it like leading a co-ed a cappella group? Any challenges?  

Leading a co-ed a cappella group is an incredible experience. It is a lot of fun, and singing with those women and men makes my day every time we have practice. Running for president of Streaks in Key has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. The women and men in this group are extremely talented and they are easily some of the best people on the John Carroll campus. As far as the co-ed criteria, it makes singing that much simpler. You do not have to give up certain songs because a man cannot sing high enough, or a woman cannot sing low enough. All the group has to worry about is how they sound together and to focus on the aspect of harmonization. The only challenges that we have come across so far is that it is sometimes difficult to learn songs in a timely manner and sometimes it is difficult to stay focused because we have so much fun in rehearsal. Other than that, leading a co-ed a cappella group is an experience like no other.

What is your favorite song to perform as a group?

Well I am sure that each individual member has their own favorite song, but from what I have noticed, the group seems to love our newest song: Twist and Shout by the Beatles

What makes a cappella music something you want to be a part of? 

A cappella is something that I have always wanted to be a part of. I love the sound of multiple voices coming together to make one beautiful sound. It is a sound like no other. One may ask why not make a choir? I would answer by saying that the benefit with a cappella is that you do not need instruments. Your body is your instrument and it is amazing to see and hear when you can.

Any future goals you have for Streaks? Maybe a song you really want to arrange?

Currently, my primary goal for Streaks is to keep up our numbers. We are losing a decent amount of seniors, and they are an essential addition to the group so I have some pretty big shoes to fill. Also, a more imminent goal is that I would like to have a very successful concert with Rhapsody Blue and the Sweet Carrollines this Wednesday, April 30th at 8:30pm in the Dolan Atrium. This is the first time in history where all three groups have come together to have a concert. It should be incredible. It won’t be something you would want to miss. As far as songs are concerned, I am excited for the Disney medley that we will create for next year. It will be a very fun mash-up, especially since there is a song for everyone in the piece. Expect greatness from the Streaks in Key because you will get no less.

What other organizations on campus are you involved with?

Currently I am in multiple organizations other than Streaks in Key. First and foremost, I am a proud member of Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity, a member of the African American Alliance, Latin American Student Association, Student Union Programing Board general member, Students for Social Justice, and Schola Cantorum Choir.

Allison Gall is a senior English major at John Carroll University. She is also a member of Kappa Delta Sorority. While not doing school work, Allison is involved in several other activities, including working with her church and taking Taekwondo. Allison also loves to read and write, sing, play violin, swim, and run. She is also interested in fashion, and she is known among her friends as the go-to person for hair and makeup help.