Campus Celebrity: Cara Sutherland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Name: Cara Sutherland

Year: Junior

Major: Exercise Science (Minor: Population & Public Health)

Hometown: Shaker Heights, Ohio

HC: What has your sorority experience been like?  

I joined Chi Omega in the fall of my freshman year – I think my motivation to go through recruitment was my desire to become more involved on campus and to create lasting friendships. I never imagined that the experience would help me to grow so much as a scholar and leader, become passionate about service, and find my voice on campus. I’ve received so much support from my sisters and advisors as I performed in plays and dance shows, applied for scholarships, and was slated to serve on my chapter’s Executive Board last year and Panhellenic Executive Board this year. I should also mention that it’s not all serious – we have a great deal of fun too! Some of my favorite events have been Lipsync (obviously!) and Halloween Date Party.

HC: What do you hope to bring to Panhel? 

I believe that the Panhellenic Council at John Carroll has been going through a huge transition phase over the last year. I understand that while change is a necessary part of adapting and growing, it can be difficult – especially in a community that values traditions. As president, I hope that I will be able to make these transitions easier for our members and their chapters by enhancing two-way communication; for example, I’ll be exploring ways to improve attendance at weekly Panhel meetings and holding weekly office hours for 1-on-1 time.

Another concern of mine that seems to be true for Panhel everywhere is combating the negative stereotypes of Greek Life. The majority of our members participate selflessly in service projects or trips, lead other student organizations on campus, receive scholarships, and land internships and jobs all over the world. I want to continue to set good examples and highlight these achievements to promote the positive perception of Greek Life and thus build stronger relationships with the entire campus, including administration.

HC: How does Panhel affect the JCU community? 

The Panhellenic Council serves as a governing body over the five nationally recognized sororities on our campus – about 340 women total. The council tries to ensure that the lifelong sorority experience enhances women’s personal growth, leadership skills, and empowerment. Our members participate in risk management training programs, including bystander intervention, aimed to reduce substance misuse/abuse and sexual violence. Additionally, it is a shared goal of the five chapters that our members are helping to improve the campus and outside community by participating in service, exploring and developing new interests, and promoting wellness and healthy behavior. Especially here at John Carroll University, Greek Life is about being in the best sense “men and women for others.”

HC: Any advice for someone looking into Greek Life or Panhel? 

I understand that many girls choose not to go through recruitment because of the financial obligation; speaking personally, I was very concerned about being able to pay for my own dues. My time in Greek Life has proven to me that you really cannot put a price on the support, love, friendship, and other cherished values. Last year I applied for several scholarships available through my sorority and the Cleveland Alumnae Panhellenic Association – I was so fortunate to receive two financial awards that have helped to cover my dues and tuition. I really hope that the cost does not deter anyone from joining if she is interested, and that more can be done to help others enjoy a priceless experience.