Campus Celebrity: Andy Costigan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

John Carroll is buzzing with excitement about summer immersions! Here’s what JCU’s Immersion Coordinator, Andy Costigan, has to say about all the buzz

What did you do before John Carroll?

Before working at Carroll, I served as a Jesuit Volunteer at Homeboy Industries in Los Angeles, earned my master’s in Theology & Ministry from Boston College, and spent 2.5 years working as part of the National Council for Higher Education in Washington, DC.

What do you like best about working at John Carroll?

The students. They are the reason I am here. They inspire me every single day.

What do you do for campus ministry?

My main areas of responsibility include coordinating the Immersion Program and a number of retreats, specifically Manresa, our signature retreat program. Additionally, I see the most important dimension to my work in Campus Ministry as pastorally accompanying students along their journeys.

Do you like going on immersions?

love going on immersions with students! Immersions are transformative; in this respect, immersions are unique opportunities to journey with students during pivotal moments of growth. Also, for me, immersions are profound opportunities to connect and form meaningful relationships with students on a personal level. Additionally, immersions continue to prove to be the signature experiences that allow for members of our university community to put our faith in action, to stand in solidarity with the poor – this has very deep meaning to me. Finally, I’m an adventurer – I love traveling the world!!

What is your favorite immersion?

I truly do not have a favorite immersion; they are special, inspiring, fun, informative, beautiful, meaningful, and transformative in their own ways.

What has John Carroll taught you?

John Carroll – namely my students – has taught me how to love radically and compassionately, with my whole being, without limit. This is, for me, the greatest blessing life has to offer.